Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

50 days to do a whole maths A level Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible do you think?

I've done it before and got a C, done harder stuff at uni, but employers want more UCAS points.

I have 50 days until the last exam and 30 something days till the first. Hopefully its not too late to enroll.

Oh, the aim is to get at least a B, preferably an A.

ReputationRep:
    Are you entered for the exam? It's doable if you can remember it well and it's just a case of lots of revision, if you are re-learning it all then that will be a hell of a job getting it done.

ReputationRep:
    No its not, if you are at the level where you got a C before then in 50 days you will probably at best get to the level you did before. You need more time to do it properly if you want an A.

ReputationRep:
    yea i can remember a fair whack of it, im sure it'll come back to me through revision.

Not entered for the exams yet which is my main concern, think i may have left it too late.

A level entries need to be in by Mid October for Janurary sittings or Mid-Late March for June sittings. Also see A level maths as 1 and a half A levels in terms of content and you're there. Coupled with uni (if you're still there) thats a lot of work. It is obviously your choice as no one here will know your level of which you're working at in maths but theres some information which might help you with the decision.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
      No its not, if you are at the level where you got a C before then in 50 days you will probably at best get to the level you did before. You need more time to do it properly if you want an A.
      i've done much, much harder stuff at university, did Engineering, so a lot of fluid dynamics and other mathematical theories.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Loz17)
      A level entries need to be in by Mid October for Janurary sittings or Mid-Late March for June sittings. Also see A level maths as 1 and a half A levels in terms of content and you're there. Coupled with uni (if you're still there) thats a lot of work. It is obviously your choice as no one here will know your level of which you're working at in maths but theres some information which might help you with the decision.
      finished uni now so got plenty of free time. I got a C doing no work whatsoever so should be ok i reckon. Is there absolutely no chance to be entered for Jan exams? surely there is some provision for that?

(Original post by Kandert)
        finished uni now so got plenty of free time. I got a C doing no work whatsoever so should be ok i reckon. Is there absolutely no chance to be entered for Jan exams? surely there is some provision for that?
        You probably can if you can find a place which will enter you as a private canadate. I can see it being costly though and we're talking hundreds here. It costs £50 to enter on time IIRC. Try contacting your local council and ask to speak to an education officer regarding private entries into Further Education examinations.

ReputationRep:
        I believe 50 days if enough for revision but make sure to keep your cell fone switched off and also keep all your connection blocked till the exam is over. During these 50 days do no other stuff rather than studies

ReputationRep:
        yea, i've learnt how to cram massively from uni, so its just a case of jogging my memory. i'd be doing like 10 hours revision a day. I think 500 hours is plenty for an A level especially if its just revision.

I was expecting it to be in the hundreds, so hopefully not too ridiculous a price.

yea, i've learnt how to cram massively from uni, so its just a case of jogging my memory. i'd be doing like 10 hours revision a day. I think 500 hours is plenty for an A level especially if its just revision.
          This thread doesn't make much sense. If it's just a matter of jogging your memory of stuff you did at uni, why the ridiculous hours?

ReputationRep:
          not possible, unless you're that kid in Pakistan that had 22 A grades across all his a levels...

ReputationRep:
          To be honest, you may as well work though past papers and see what you can't do and then go and learn that and then do every single quesiton you can get your hands on. Who knows if it's doable?!

ReputationRep:
          Yah it's definitely possible. Helps if you can arrange a tutor. Put in about 5-6 hours of work a day and it's definitely possible to get an A. Solve a LOT (preferably all from 2002-2010) of past papers too. Of course it depends a lot on your ability as well, but as long as you're relatively intelligent() it can be done.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by ilyking)
          not possible, unless you're that kid in Pakistan that had 22 A grades across all his a levels...
          Oh I remember him! He's doing computer science at Cambridge if I remember well...

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Kolya)
          This thread doesn't make much sense. If it's just a matter of jogging your memory of stuff you did at uni, why the ridiculous hours?
          cause its still 4 years ago since i did the stuff! lol.

Edit: i didnt do the stuff at uni, i did harder theories. So I wouldnt struggle with the concepts, rather the quantity might prove tough.

ReputationRep:

I've done it before and got a C, done harder stuff at uni, but employers want more UCAS points.

I have 50 days until the last exam and 30 something days till the first. Hopefully its not too late to enroll.

Of course it's possible, as long as you put the work in.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by wavey93)
          Of course it's possible, as long as you put the work in.
          Ta, i think im gonna go for it. The exam office at my old 6th form is gonna give me a ring on monday to tell me the fees and stuff. I'll make a final decision then.

ReputationRep:

i revise at a rate of 1 module/month (doing further maths now)

if you're doing engineering i doubt it'll need as much time. my brother does engineering and helps me with maths even though he hasn't done it at a-level for 2 years.

go on www.examsolutions.co.uk and go through the worked past papers (HELPS A LOT!) since there are probably some topics you haven't met in your degree..

then choose m1 and m2 as your applied modules since you've probably covered everything there in engineering and it'll be a walk in the park

ReputationRep:
          has anyone done AQA maths recently? just wana make sure my textbooks are still relevant. Which edition textbooks did you use?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
        Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.