Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

On Tuition rises: A failed communication strategy from the students! Watch

ReputationRep:
    as much as I am sympathetic to the student's opposition to the tuition rises and think that the UK and its economy, more than the students, will be negatively impacted by the increases 5-10 years down the line, I must say the students failed in getting the message across!

Seriously, the students behaved like a bunch of savages running through the streets instead of thinking things through and launch a smart campaign. Just look at the news, with few exceptions they don't write why the tuitions shouldn't be raised and what impact it will have, the only thing they write about is how the students play cat and mouse with the police. If anything as reader you get the impression that the government is successful at detaining riots and the police, except for the first demo, is doing a good job.

The students have not managed to use the media to their advantage and put the politicians on the spot and in a bad public light. Neither have they managed to challenge the politicians, I haven't read one proper reply: the only thing James Cameron said is that the protests are unacceptable.

Unless the students manage to put things together, it's a lost case and the house will vote in favour of the tuition increase in a week.

Nevertheless, all the best and good luck

John

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnDoldon)
    as much as I am sympathetic to the student's opposition to the tuition rises and think that the UK and its economy, more than the students, will be negatively impacted by the increases 5-10 years down the line, I must say the students failed in getting the message across!

Seriously, the students behaved like a bunch of savages running through the streets instead of thinking things through and launch a smart campaign. Just look at the news,
    Of course they're running through the streets, the alternative is being kettled for 7 hours in the freezing cold.

with few exceptions they don't write why the tuitions shouldn't be raised and what impact it will have, the only thing they write about is how the students play cat and mouse with the police. If anything as reader you get the impression that the government is successful at detaining riots and the police, except for the first demo, is doing a good job.

The students have not managed to use the media to their advantage and put the politicians on the spot and in a bad public light. Neither have they managed to challenge the politicians, I haven't read one proper reply: the only thing James Cameron said is that the protests are unacceptable.

Unless the students manage to put things together, it's a lost case and the house will vote in favour of the tuition increase in a week.

Nevertheless, all the best and good luck

John
    I do agree with you, setting bus shelters on fire and the like are definitely not smart things to be doing, but on the other hand the Murdoch media was always going to be against the anti-fees movement, even if the protests were entirely peaceful and Millbank had never happened.

ReputationRep:
    my point is that the students should have choosen a leader figure, some smart handsome guy (or maybe even better girl) that would have been the focal point of the media

It just makes so much of a difference if you have face representing an issue with some smart arguments/ challenging the government than pictures of running savages

The whole street protest thing is so last century,

Today's 'wars' are not won in the streets but in the papers,

but the students didn't get that and went 1968 style

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.