Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Buy an iphone 4 or ipod touch 4g? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what to get the ipod touch 4g or the iphone 4 on the tesco £20 12 month contract?

P.S. I have better say this in advance don't fill this thread with "you should buy and android or BB" please.

ReputationRep:
    well if you want a new phone... get the iphone... if you just want an ipod get the ipod...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    well if you want a new phone... get the iphone... if you just want an ipod get the ipod...
    Thats my problem I don't know what would be best. I don't use my phone loads, im on pay as you go and top up around £10 a month. I also have an ipod classic, but i want the internet/emails and apps and stuff.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    They are not very different - iPhone has phone feature and iPod Touch does not. I would personally go for an iPhone. If you have the ability to pay for them then iPhone is 'more' worth getting.

ReputationRep:
    Iphone 4 i have it and i am glad i did.

so many apps require internet on the go e.g. network rail ... maps .... thus you cannot use the features on the ipod touch.

ReputationRep:
    Weigh up the costs against what you need.
    If you're happy with your current phone, you don't need a new one.
    Personally I like having everything in one place and not having to carry around two gadgets. That of course has the disadvantage of when it breaks, you have nothing.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AgentSushi)
    Thats my problem I don't know what would be best. I don't use my phone loads, im on pay as you go and top up around £10 a month. I also have an ipod classic, but i want the internet/emails and apps and stuff.
    Get pay as you go iPhone ?

ReputationRep:
    If you have an iPod there isn't much point getting an iPod touch. I would get the iPhone and use it as my phone and check mails etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by street.lovin')
    This will cost more than getting it on contract with tesco in the long term I think. 16gb iphone 4 from apple is £499, with tesco its £349 plus 12 month £20 contract = £589. With pay as you go im not sure about the data, i am likely that i am going to use a fair amount as thats what i want it for.

Also im not sure if 16gb will be enough may need 32gb?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by street.lovin')
    It's £600 for the iPhone 4g. That's quite expensive.

ReputationRep:
    bro, just get the ipod then get a cheap phone which you can ring/text off

1) iphone batteries are ****, and once it goes, you lose phone, music, games, everything
    2) ipod touch is much cheaper overall
    3) to me, it feels better to have phone and music player seperate (i know it sounds weird, but it just makes sense)
    4) you can get a ****ing nokia 3310 and be more awesome!

ReputationRep:
    well it seems a bit silly for you to buy a £600 phone if you're not going to use it much! i'd consider going for a cheaper android phone
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterfly1991)
    It's £600 for the iPhone 4g. That's quite expensive.

This will cost more than getting it on contract with tesco in the long term I think. 16gb iphone 4 from apple is £499, with tesco its £349 plus 12 month £20 contract = £589. With pay as you go im not sure about the data, i am likely that i am going to use a fair amount as thats what i want it for.

Also im not sure if 16gb will be enough may need 32gb?
    Whoaaaaaa, I thought it was like <£500
    I had no idea pay as you go iPhone would cost that much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joebro)
    bro, just get the ipod then get a cheap phone which you can ring/text off

1) iphone batteries are ****, and once it goes, you lose phone, music, games, everything
    2) ipod touch is much cheaper overall
    3) to me, it feels better to have phone and music player seperate (i know it sounds weird, but it just makes sense)
    4) you can get a ****ing nokia 3310 and be more awesome!
    Thats what I was thinking, I have had my sony ericsson k750i for years and years now and it does the job. I really just want the internet and apps and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    ipod touch and cheap phone ftw

ReputationRep:
    well it seems a bit silly for you to buy a £600 phone if you're not going to use it much! i'd consider going for a cheaper android phone
    I would use it alot I do text and call everyday just not loads, but I would use the other features all the time.

ReputationRep:
    Thats what I was thinking, I have had my sony ericsson k750i for years and years now and it does the job. I really just want the internet and apps and stuff.
    if you have access to wifi then there is no need to get an iphone, the internet on them is pretty **** anyway. its so much better having a reliable phone which wont run out of battery, because you are pretty ****ed if you happen to be playing Bloons Tower Defense and your iphone dies.

ReputationRep:
    I would use it alot I do text and call everyday just not loads, but I would use the other features all the time.

well if you can justify the price to yourself get an iphone

i will just mention a new one will be out in 7 months... so personally i'd be tempted to wait till then and get the new one. but i'm the sort of person who only buys things when they've just been brought out. hate having old tech!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what to get the ipod touch 4g or the iphone 4 on the tesco £20 12 month contract?

P.S. I have better say this in advance don't fill this thread with "you should buy and android or BB" please.
    Get the iPod Touch 4G.

No point spashing out £500 - £600 on an iPhone 4 if your not going to use it properly. Especially if you only top up £10 per month, iPhone 4 uses alot of a data allowance - So essentially if you were going to get one you'd need a decent contract..

Get the iPod Touch and a £15/25 iTunes gift voucher and then get some awesome apps and be happy. :thumbsup:

ReputationRep:
    well if you can justify the price to yourself get an iphone

i will just mention a new one will be out in 7 months... so personally i'd be tempted to wait till then and get the new one. but i'm the sort of person who only buys things when they've just been brought out. hate having old tech!
    Yeah not sure if I can justify the cost, its more than my car lol. Im thinking of going and getting the 32gb ipod touch from hmv they have a deal for £249 with free £25 itunes voucher and £20 hmv gift card. I will proberly sell my ipod classic to cex.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.