Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

what is your conception of morality? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I think that anything goes period.

Social norms are only adhered to at convenience, and are only followed 10% of the time.

ReputationRep:
    Morality doesn't exist.

ReputationRep:
    this is true. that is why murder is acceptable.

ReputationRep:
    A set of guidelines rigorously derived from a logical set of axioms that almost everyone would agree on. Moral philosophy is an ongoing process. Unfortunately, either through apathy or stupidity, most people don't read much moral philosophy, so their opinions are all based on ignorant prejudice rather than compassion and logic.

ReputationRep:
    Basically utilitarianism, with some caveats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    A set of guidelines rigorously derived from a logical set of axioms that almost everyone would agree on. Moral philosophy is an ongoing process. Unfortunately, either through apathy or stupidity, most people don't read much moral philosophy, so their opinions are all based on ignorant prejudice rather than compassion and logic.
    why should there be any agreements? why can't anything go, irrespective of the cost of the action?

ReputationRep:
    I think morality is subjective, no one rule for everyone. If no-one is getting hurt, then that's morality for me. Like some people would say it's immoral to live together/sleep together before marriage - fine, that's their morality, not mine. Or drinking because it alters your state of mind, it depends on what you believe. I think a lot of people would call something immoral because they're told it is, they haven't actually stopped to consider why.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    why should there be any agreements? why can't anything go, irrespective of the cost of the action?

I don't really see your point. This idea of "anything can go" is an illogical fantasyland. If I murder your parents for a laugh, your not just going to let me get away with it are you?

ReputationRep:
    Morality is merely socially acceptable behaviour. Who created morality?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sprockette)
    I think morality is subjective, no one rule for everyone. If no-one is getting hurt, then that's morality for me. Like some people would say it's immoral to live together/sleep together before marriage - fine, that's their morality, not mine. Or drinking because it alters your state of mind, it depends on what you believe. I think a lot of people would call something immoral because they're told it is, they haven't actually stopped to consider why.
    Agreed.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really see your point. This idea of "anything can go" is an illogical fantasyland. If I murder your parents for a laugh, your not just going to let me get away with it are you?
    there is no such thing as morality, since absolutely anything goes in life

things such as rape, or murder, or genocide are just by the by. it's only wrong since people say so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hufflepuffer)
    Morality is merely socially acceptable behaviour. Who created morality?
    No such thing exists as socially acceptable behaviour. What is this behaviour perchance, since I know of nobody in the UK who subscribes to it?

If "morality" exists, then it is because it's the establishment that says so.

ReputationRep:
    there is no such thing as morality, since absolutely anything goes in life

things such as rape, or murder, or genocide are just by the by. it's only wrong since people say so.
    "it's only wrong since people say so"... isn't that pretty much a definition of "morality"? who else is going to decide what is right and wrong, if not people?

Is your argument that morality doesn't exist separately to human civilisation? I can agree with that position.

Or is your position that there is not one single, overriding morality that everyone in the world subscribes to? I can agree with that as well.

But to say "there is no such thing as morality full stop" is clearly erroneous.

ReputationRep:
    No such thing exists as socially acceptable behaviour. What is this behaviour perchance, since I know of nobody in the UK who subscribes to it?

If "morality" exists, then it is because it's the establishment that says so.
    No

ReputationRep:
    Subjective relativism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StephenP91)
    Morality doesn't exist.
    Boy, that's a convincing argument.

ReputationRep:
    "it's only wrong since people say so"... isn't that pretty much a definition of "morality"? who else is going to decide what is right and wrong, if not people?

Is your argument that morality doesn't exist separately to human civilisation? I can agree with that position.

Or is your position that there is not one single, overriding morality that everyone in the world subscribes to? I can agree with that as well.

But to say "there is no such thing as morality full stop" is clearly erroneous.
    I just think that morality is non-existent, and most moral rules we have are for show.

there are no benchmarks and rules in life.

ReputationRep:
    My morals consist of not doing anything I wouldn't like to be done to me. Acting in a nice manner until given reason not to. Giving anything & everyone a chance before developing an opinion. Judging people by their actions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F i s)
    Subjective relativism.
    Baby five, bro! : D

(just for the sake of clarity, a baby five would be a high five but done slower and well, in a "bab-ier" manner)

Seriously though, I do echo the same sentiments if by those two words you meant that your moral choice (for lack of a better term?) would depend upon your personal beliefs and the kind of situation you find yourself in/analysing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .neon)
    Baby five, bro! : D

(just for the sake of clarity, a baby five would be a high five but done slower and well, in a "bab-ier" manner)

Seriously though, I do echo the same sentiments if by those two words you meant that your moral choice (for lack of a better term?) would depend upon your personal beliefs and the kind of situation you find yourself in/analysing.
    Precisely and have to take into account some sort of Moral solidarity.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.