The Student Room Group

Study suggests being attractive is a barrier to getting a job

It was always believed that goodlooking people were more likely to do well in a job interview and perhaps be offered a job than plainer people. However it seems ,it isn't always that simple, if you are an attractive male,this may well still be the case, however apparently if you are an attractive female,it can be a barrier due to jealous females in HR.

Now normally, I take these studies with a pinch of salt,especially those done in universities,as in my view, a lack of funding, those doing the studies, already have a conclusion in mind and normally a far too small a sample means I take little notice.

However from personal experience I have experienced the cattiness of females towards better looking females . I also was once offered a job because the female managers (around my mums age) who were at the interview wanted a young man , rather than a young woman in the office,so wanted me rather than the 2 female candidates who were also shortlisted ,I was told this a few months after I had taken the job, by someone who was present at the interview.

I have no doubt that feminazis will somehow blame men for this, rather than acknowledging that women discriminate against themselves,perhaps the likes of harriet harperson, could address it, that it isn't also sterotypical middleaged men who have a problem with women in the workplace and doing them down.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1335283/Good-looking-women-likely-refused-job-interviews-jealous-HR-staff.html
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Sounds like bull to me to be honest, thats the Daily Mail trying to have a dig at women saying they will let petty jealousies influence hiring decisions.

In any case for most jobs you can imagine there would be a male manager on the selection panel, whose bias towards wanting to hire the fit girl (who he will get to work with) would outweigh any catty females in HR who probably won't even have to work with her.
Reply 2
I wouldn't be suprised, I generally hate other women because they're jealous and catty. Jealous girls are vile, that's why I have much more male friends haha.
Original post by Ministerdonut

Now normally, I take these studies with a pinch of salt,especially those done in universities,as in my view, a lack of funding, those doing the studies, already have a conclusion in mind and normally a far too small a sample means I take little notice.

Read the paper and know a lot about Israeli departmental funding, do you?
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Sounds like bull to me to be honest, thats the Daily Mail trying to have a dig at women saying they will let petty jealousies influence hiring decisions.

In any case for most jobs you can imagine there would be a male manager on the selection panel, whose bias towards wanting to hire the fit girl (who he will get to work with) would outweigh any catty females in HR who probably won't even have to work with her.

I think your bias of the Mail is clouding your intellect a tad. Perhaps this doesn't really effect small business's but even there they may discriminate against young women of child bearing age for monetary reasons more than appearance,

But in my experience, in large business, with a large hr and personnel department, they seem to have disproportionate influence in selection, and retention, and they do tend to be staffed by mainly women. Remember that, often for some of these jobs it won't just depend on a panel interview, but selection days with aptitude tests and group tasks .Plenty of scope to mark someone down,

Just because a male manager might be overcome by some breasts and a pert bottom, doesn't mean he will get his wish, unfortunately it doesn't work like that anymore, unless you own your own business.
Reply 5
Original post by .Ali.
That's why I have much more male friends haha.

Is it noww........:yum:
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Read the paper and know a lot about Israeli departmental funding, do you?

So 5000 cv's in israel is enough to draw wide ranging conclusions about the behaviour of women personnel officers towards attractive female candidates the world over is it?

I have just taken an interest in this study,because my own personal experience suggests there is some merit to their conclusions,but it has to be said, I am making an opinion,not passing it off as fact, as these universities seem to and the media play a role,for eye catching headlines.
Reply 7
Original post by digitalis
Is it noww........:yum:

Yes. :wink:
Reply 8
Original post by .Ali.
I wouldn't be suprised, I generally hate other women because they're jealous and catty. Jealous girls are vile, that's why I have much more male friends haha.
h

Lies.
Original post by Ministerdonut
So 5000 cv's in israel is enough to draw wide ranging conclusions about the behaviour of women personnel officers towards attractive female candidates the world over is it?

Probably not (although you'll probably find that it is the newspaper that is making those wide global conclusions), but its certainly not to be sniffed at.
Reply 10
I think this is true. Not because of personal experience since Im not that attractive but because there was a vacancy where my friend works and I wanted to apply but she told me not to because her manager was looking for a male employee :frown:

Well now I've got another job so is cool :]
Reply 11
No wonder I keep getting rejected! :mmm:

Edit: it's only for women. :facepalm:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by .Ali.

Same here. I avoid girls as much as I can :yep:
Original post by katyness
I think this is true. Not because of personal experience since Im not that attractive but because there was a vacancy where my friend works and I wanted to apply but she told me not to because her manager was looking for a male employee :frown:

Well now I've got another job so is cool :]

She was probably lying.
Reply 14
Original post by Mujeriego
h

Lies.

It's a lie that jealous women are horrible? :curious:

It's also a lie that I have more male friends than female ones? Yeah okay, I forgot you know more about my life than I do.
Reply 15
Original post by katyness
Same here. I avoid girls as much as I can :yep:

They can be so vile! Haha, I recently fell out with one because I gace her boyfriend (who I was friends with) a hug LOL! Her reaction: "Omg you bitch stop trying to steal my boyfriend!". :rolleyes:
Reply 16
quoting a daily mail article makes everything you have said look like rubbish bro
Original post by .Ali.
It's a lie that jealous women are horrible? :curious:

It's also a lie that I have more male friends than female ones? Yeah okay, I forgot you know more about my life than I do.

No. It's a lie that you are good-looking.
Reply 18
Original post by .Ali.
They can be so vile! Haha, I recently fell out with one because I gace her boyfriend (who I was friends with) a hug LOL! Her reaction: "Omg you bitch stop trying to steal my boyfriend!". :rolleyes:

Omg o.0 Why cant women be like more like men? Why must they be so complicated and drama queens?? Jhezz -.-'
Reply 19
Yeah but look at the people who conducted the study:

Obvious bias.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending