Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This is my first 20 mark sociology question and I have no idea where to start, does anyone have any ideas or tips for me please?

Assess the view that class inequalities in health & illness are the result of cultural and behavioural differences.

Thanks, any help would be appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    There's a simple formula for these sorts of questions:
    - Short & simple introduction which introduces the question.
    -Write everything you know which agrees with the statement.
    - Then write 'HOWEVER..' and write everything you know which disagrees with it.
    - If needed, do an extra little bit that throws in anything you haven't managed to fit in before because it crosses over a bit or something.
    - Short conclusion. Usually along the lines of although there being evidence for one, the other has more overwhelming evidence. Obviously, this will change depending on the question!

Other things to remember would be to include the study names and names of Sociologists (just the surname is fine), because you can miss out on marks if you're not specific. Also, because it's only 20 marks, make sure your points are quite concise - you shouldn't really need to go on for too long (although if you have enough time to, then it doesn't do any harm). Ooh, and try not to say 'I will evaluate..' or 'I will try to decide..' - it sounds a little informal and some examiners don't like it.

And remember paragraphing, haha. Simple things like that can slip your mind in an exam (I know it has happened to me :P) but you do get marked for your quality of English too!

I hope I've helped!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, I wasn't entirely sure how to set the essay out so you've helped!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.