Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My laptop fell yesterday and the power supply cable and where that plugs into the laptop were seriously damaged so it can not charge. Would it be best to send it to currys where I bought it from or dell ? Or maybe just take it to a repair shop ? Also how much am I looking at cost wise ?

I'd be prepared for a large ish bill. Take it to Currys so you can speak to a real person and get a quote 1st.

Hows the warranty on it?

ReputationRep:
      For a laptop, we generally change a £42.50 diagnostics fee straight out when we send it off, then it'll total between £100 - 150 to fix (minus the upfront fee). Not sure about Currys, but I'd think it would be pretty similar. Depending on age of laptop, sometimes it's best to just buy a new one. Is it in warrently still?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Loz17)
      I'd be prepared for a large ish bill. Take it to Currys so you can speak to a real person and get a quote 1st.

Hows the warranty on it?
      it says on the currys tech guys service it be £230 :/ I had insurance pay monthly but stopped recently. I am not sure about warranty though

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Foster88)
      it says on the currys tech guys service it be £230 :/ I had insurance pay monthly but stopped recently. I am not sure about warranty though

£230 :-/ Where do you live? If you're near a Best Buy, pop in, hopefully will be much cheaper

Typical :rolleyes: always the way. Stupid Karma.

How old is the laptop? Just read damage caused by the owner (they will blame the accodent on you) isn't covered by the warranty and only insurance will cover it. I'd say time for a new laptop tbh.

I read the stuff about warranties here if its any help.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Zebrastripes)
        For a laptop, we generally change a £42.50 diagnostics fee straight out when we send it off, then it'll total between £100 - 150 to fix (minus the upfront fee). Not sure about Currys, but I'd think it would be pretty similar. Depending on age of laptop, sometimes it's best to just buy a new one. Is it in warrently still?
        Who are "we" ? I imagine it is not in warranty as I don't remeber purchasing any

ReputationRep:
        Who are "we" ? I imagine it is not in warranty as I don't remeber purchasing any
        Best Buy sorry, said it in the second post. But I agree with Loz17, might just be time for a new laptop.

Warranty most of the time comes with the laptop as with any other electrical appliance bought these days but it doesn't usually last too long and covers very limited things. The warranty details are available on the manufacturers website. As I said in your case onlt the insurance covers whats happened and since that's stopped its going to be expensive to repair as its a pretty major part of the laptop :\

As Zebrastripes gave you a general quote for Best Buy, maybe shopping around and seeing if anywhere can do it cheaper (but beware of half cut jobs) if not, new laptops can be got for £100 more than Curry's are generally quoting for repair.

ReputationRep:
          okay thanks for the help people

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Zebrastripes)
          Best Buy sorry, said it in the second post. But I agree with Loz17, might just be time for a new laptop.
          Is there anyway to keep the information/date on the laptop as there is a lot of stuff I really can't afford to lose

ReputationRep:
          Is there anyway to keep the information/date on the laptop as there is a lot of stuff I really can't afford to lose
          I'm sure some of the guys around here might be able to help you do it at home. In store, we do a £20 data transfer or backup, where we'd take out the hard drive and use something to connect it to our computer to save your data.

ReputationRep:
          It's usually possible to get the hard disk out of laptops fairly easily. Often it's behind a panel on the bottom.

Of course if your data is that important you should be making backups. (Think of Backups as an insurance policy - You should never need them but really useful when you find you do need it).

ReputationRep:
          DC Socket repair (not including price of replacment socket) is £90 all in at most places or do it yourself, order the socket of Ebay and de-solder the current one + solder the new one in place.

ReputationRep:
          So I got a new socket for my laptop but it is circular were as my charger is hexangonal, do dell do circular chargers or have I messed up ?

help lol

thanks for responses so far

ReputationRep:
          So I got a new socket for my laptop but it is circular were as my charger is hexangonal, do dell do circular chargers or have I messed up ?

help lol

thanks for responses so far
          Is that a case of someones fitted the wrong socket or have you bought one off ebay and found it's wrong ?

If it's a case of someones fitted the wrong thing ask them to recitify it at no cost as they've not provided a fit for purpose fix.

If you've bought the wrong thing to fix it yourself you might find there are other issues. Are the pin locations the same on the old and new sockets. (ignoring whether your happy to open the laptop up and weild a soldering iron)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        What newspaper do you read/prefer?
        Useful resources
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.