Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am a student currently applying to study Politics at university. These are the universities that I am applying to and their entry requirements:

De Montfrot - 260 points
    Portsmouth - 240-300 points
    Nottingham Trent - 260
    Brighton - 280 points
    Manchester Met - 240-280 points

I am currently predicted to get 260 points(BBD). A couple of days ago I got an offer from Manchester Met, which was conditional and I need to get a minimum of 240 points from 2 or 3 A Levels. I was really surprised, because last time I checked they were asking for 180 (I checked their website and UCAS). Now I am worried that I have made a mistake in my UCAS choices, because most of them are asking for are almost the same minimum points (240-260). I don't know what to do. Help! Or should I be worrying, because after I have only received one offer so far??

What do I do?

ReputationRep:
    How long is it since you sent off your UCAS form? If it's been more than two weeks, there's nothing you can do really.

It seems pretty common this year that universities have been suddenly increasing their entry requirements or typical offers, but then it was yet another record year in terms of applications.

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing you can do now that your UCAS has been sent off.

What's done, is done.

ReputationRep:
    You're predicted 260, the places you've applied for range from 240-280. I'd say that's a healthy balance of aiming high for some and having a couple of insurances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    How long is it since you sent off your UCAS form? If it's been more than two weeks, there's nothing you can do really.

It seems pretty common this year that universities have been suddenly increasing their entry requirements or typical offers, but then it was yet another record year in terms of applications.
    It was sent towards the end of November, but I was really pissed of to find that Man Met (which I kind of hoping would be an isurance choice) was suddenly asking asking for 240 in its offers when it was had originally asked for 180-200. I guess the offers from universities have increased because of the demand for university places, so I have really got to work my socks off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riotgrrl)
    You're predicted 260, the places you've applied for range from 240-280. I'd say that's a healthy balance of aiming high for some and having a couple of insurances.
    I guess so, but I really can't stop worrying. I am studying so hard, but struggling with Maths (predicted D), and I've got other school stuff going on and home issues, but I guess I need to try even harder and stop worrying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dee Leigh)
    It was sent towards the end of November, but I was really pissed of to find that Man Met (which I kind of hoping would be an isurance choice) was suddenly asking asking for 240 in its offers when it was had originally asked for 180-200. I guess the offers from universities have increased because of the demand for university places, so I have really got to work my socks off.
    If it was within two weeks, which it might be, you are able to substitute choices. Your choices all seem fine though, so I wouldn't if I were you.
    (If you do decide you want to substitute a choice, and I don't recommend you do, be sure to click "Substitute" not "Cancel" on UCAS.)

240 points is CCC, or BCD. Even if you do get a D in maths, the offer certainly wouldn't be beyond your reach.

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure you read their offer right?
    I'm pretty sure my offer from Man Met last year was 240 points with a minimum of 180 of those coming from my A2s Maybe they have changed it though...

EDIT: Just checked the website and BA politics is 240-280 points with 240 from A2 or equivalent

ReputationRep:
    I got a conditional from MMU last year when to be completely honest I didn't expect conditionals from anywhere...

Sounds like you've got a good balance though, good luck with everything! Working your socks off is never a bad thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    If it was within two weeks, which it might be, you are able to substitute choices. Your choices all seem fine though, so I wouldn't if I were you.
    (If you do decide you want to substitute a choice, and I don't recommend you do, be sure to click "Substitute" not "Cancel" on UCAS.)

240 points is CCC, or BCD. Even if you do get a D in maths, the offer certainly wouldn't be beyond your reach.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Only gives you room to miss by one grade, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    That's not unusual though. Loads of people have, for example, a firm of ABB and an insurance of BBB. Assuming I get an offer from one of my other three unis, my firm would be AAA and my insurance AAB. I think the thought of going to university is so motivating that few people will do significantly worse than what they're predicted.

ReputationRep:
    That's not unusual though. Loads of people have, for example, a firm of ABB and an insurance of BBB. Assuming I get an offer from one of my other three unis, my firm would be AAA and my insurance AAB. I think the thought of going to university is so motivating that few people will do significantly worse than what they're predicted.
    Not everyone feels happy with that margin for error, though. I wouldn't.

ReputationRep:
    One insurance maximum. Or you've wasted a choice. As I can see in your spoiler - two AAB uni's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glen_Nichols)
    One insurance maximum. Or you've wasted a choice. As I can see in your spoiler - two AAB uni's.
    One is ABB, actually :p: I don't see it as wasting a choice at all, this year is one of the most competitive years to apply to uni because so many people are applying and plenty of people with excellent grades are going to get rejected. I would not have felt comfortable applying to four universities that require AAA and just one AAB, as I could have been rejected from all five, had to reapply and faced much higher fees next year.

It's only a wasted choice if you have no chance of getting in, or really don't want to go there. This applies to none of my choices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    This is what I am very worried about. But to be honest, I don't feel as though I would do badly in all my subjects, particularly History and ICT, so I am trying not to worry too much and wait for my other offers. I am still a bit pissed off though. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    This is what I am very worried about. But to be honest, I don't feel as though I would do badly in all my subjects, particularly History and ICT, so I am trying not to worry too much and wait for my other offers. I am still a bit pissed off though. :mad:
    If the date on your UCAS letter is more than two weeks ago, there's nothing you can do now anyway. At least one has come back as a lower offer, so that's good.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.