Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm curious to know the different perspectives on 'dating'.

For me dating is when I like somebody and want to get to know them more so go on a series of dates, regular stuff like having a chat over coffee/dinner, hang out somewhere in the city etc.

This is the time I'm considering if I want to be in a relationship and of course that will only happen once I know them better. At this stage there is no commitment from my end (and I would hope there's none from their end either), I would describe us as friends with a romantic interest.

During this time I'm not exclusive to them, meaning I'll go on dates with others too getting to know them better in the same way. I consider myself singer during this time.

However other people see it differently and do remain exclusive to the people they are dating, so I'm just wondering what is the general view of it? Do most people find it unacceptable if you are not exclusive during this time?

There is also that problem of it coming up later on in the future, for example if you do end up in a relationship with a person you've (non-exclusively) dated and all that time they weren't aware of it then they might be upset/angry to find out.

What's your take on it?

ReputationRep:
    if you like them, don't as if you end up with them in a ltr then itl bite you back on the arse + why so horny? 1 should be enough

ReputationRep:
    I could only handle seeing one girl at a time. Anymore and things would just get confusing.

ReputationRep:
    Im with OP, dating isn't exclusive at that point

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm curious to know the different perspectives on 'dating'.

For me dating is when I like somebody and want to get to know them more so go on a series of dates, regular stuff like having a chat over coffee/dinner, hang out somewhere in the city etc.

This is the time I'm considering if I want to be in a relationship and of course that will only happen once I know them better. At this stage there is no commitment from my end (and I would hope there's none from their end either), I would describe us as friends with a romantic interest.

During this time I'm not exclusive to them, meaning I'll go on dates with others too getting to know them better in the same way. I consider myself singer during this time.

However other people see it differently and do remain exclusive to the people they are dating, so I'm just wondering what is the general view of it? Do most people find it unacceptable if you are not exclusive during this time?

There is also that problem of it coming up later on in the future, for example if you do end up in a relationship with a person you've (non-exclusively) dated and all that time they weren't aware of it then they might be upset/angry to find out.

What's your take on it?
    Yeah, dating is to relationships what window shopping is to buying. It's perfectly fine to see other dates during the dating period.

Basically, unless you've specifically agreed to be exclusive with someone, then you aren't exclusive. But do be honest about this with people you're 'dating', so they don't mistakenly get the idea that they're the only one you're seeing during the dating phase, since some people can easily assume you're exclusive right away if they aren't very experienced at dating etc.

Usually after a series of dates with someone you like, 'the talk' will come up in the conversation. From my own experiences, after a few dates girls have said things like: 'So are we going out then/are we boyfriend-girlfriend?' or 'where is this going?', etc. When they say this, you know they are looking to get confirmation of being exclusive with you.

These days, I don't get into monogamous relationships since I like my own independence, so I prefer non-monogamous relationships. But if monogamous relationships are your thing and you want to be exclusive with someone, if you 'click' with someone then after a few dates 'the talk' will come up if they like you enough. Always let THEM be the one to ask for exclusivity....make THEM work for you and have to convince YOU to be exclusive with them...I've found things pan out better that way because it gives you the power position. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see it as an exclusive thing, but I've only ever dated one girl a time otherwise it would get too much and too boring.

I can imagine going to the same cafe with the different girl, watching the same movie, ordering the same **** from the menu for dinner :laugh: actually now that I think about it, it would be pretty funny!

ReputationRep:
    No, dating isn't usually exclusive. Like you said, it's the bit before you consider being in a relationship and thus becoming exclusive.

Personally, when I'm dating it is exclusive - but purely from the point of view that I don't really have enough time to date more than one person, rather from the fact that I actually see it as an exclusive thing.

ReputationRep:
    It should be exclusive at that point.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 3, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.