Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm new here and wanted a little advice.

My application to begin an undergraduate course in 2011 has just been sent off by UCAS to my uni choices and I've been looking into student finance - I understand the tuition loan but find some of the other stuff a bit baffling as different universities seem to have slightly different processes when it comes to bursaries, grants, maintenance etc.

I will be 26 when I start uni in 2011 and wondered if anybody can advise me if I am then classed as an independent student, meaning my household income won't be taken in to account when it comes to applying for grants? I've applied to 5 unis, I plan to stay living at home with my parents if I get in to either of the closest 2 or if I end up going to any of the other 3 I will have to move away and therefore will be wanting as much help with maintenance as possible.

Any advice greatly appreciated, I've only just re-entered education this September after 9 years away and am finding this student lark a bit hard to adjust to!

ReputationRep:
    see here
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...ance/index.htm

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I have had a look at that site before but find it a) confusing to navigate and b) doesn't seem to mention anything about 25+?

ReputationRep:
    You'll be classed as independent.

ReputationRep:
    Really? It's frustrating that none of the uni websites mention that, it's all just about household income, I wish they'd make it clearer. Hopefully then I'll be eligible for full grants and bursaries!

ReputationRep:
    Why would the unis mention it? Funding for tuition and maintenance is nothing to do with them. Only uni bursaries are their concern.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    Why would the unis mention it? Funding for tuition and maintenance is nothing to do with them. Only uni bursaries are their concern.
    That's what I mean, under all the sections about who is eligible for bursaries they only mention household income!

ReputationRep:
    If you are unmarried and over 25, you'll be independent and get considerably more funding. At least £3k of free money, plus extra from a uni bursary. Unless you own houses or something and have a massive income yourself next year.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, definitely good news!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.