Want to leave sixth form but afraid of being a failure? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm at sixth form and am really not enjoying it, I'm taking:
    Economics
    Business
    Politics
    Psychology

I really enjoy economics but that is the only one and i think i would enjoy business if i had a different teacher :confused:

but my question is, what do i do? i don't know what i want to have as a career but being an air traffic controller is on my mind which doesnt require a levels but if fail at that what do i do?
    if i knew what i wanted to do for the rest of my life it would be fine but due to the fact that i dont apart from air traffic controller as an option and that combined with the fact that i hate college leaves me sitting at home doing nothing or with a crappy job? thats the one thing i don't want, i just don't want to be a failure for the rest of my life with a crappy job and i've always had high expectations of myself for a job but im starting to feel like a failure already..

ReputationRep:
    few people get anywhere without a degree than someone who does have a degree, yet alone no a levels.

I'd recommend that you just bear with it, for your own sake

If you're finding it difficult drop one subject and take three

ReputationRep:
    What year u in?
    Personally though id say stick it out itl be worth it imo, although i know a few who dropped out last year cuz they didn't enjoy it (im year 13 btw) i wouldn't recommend it as they have all gone to college again to do courses such as sports development for 3 years or gone to work full time in morrisons lol.

ReputationRep:
    i cant drop they wont let me until year 13, im in year 12 and i'm so unmotivated and behind its practically impossible to catch up with exams in january, i just really dont want to stay but if i leave and fail at being an air traffic controller, my whole life would be a piece of ****..

ReputationRep:
    If they won't let you drop out of one of your subjects, just don't make any effort in it, and then fail the exams. It's not something I could do myself (I absolutely hate failing anything) but it seems like a sort of sensible option for you at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    I did Business, Economics, History and Psychology. Only actually enjoy Business and Economics (sometimes History), but i hated psychology and i mean hated lol. I stuck it out got a D dropped it for year 13 and as it turns out my insurance uni choice accepts that as part of my offer. So was worth it in the end.

Stick it out trust man, economics takes time to understand the concept and the fact it cannot be put into a real life situation other than some of the maco economic policies. You'll do fine at business i did it a GCSE got a C im on an A atm just cuz i got down to it and worked hard (along with natural ability obv :P). Concentrate on analysing an evaluating your points when writng essays, with some basic knowledge obv, but in the 1st year it really isn't that challenging at all, trust you'll thank me later.

ReputationRep:
    Have you done any research into how you might get into air traffic controlling? And what the job actually entails. If you have and the job really does appeal to you then I would say give it a shot, A levels aren't for everyone and I know lots of people who have successfully gone straight into training for a job after GCSEs.

You just need to think everything through carefully, do as much research into other options (have a look at the local colleges as well, is there anything there that appeals to you?) and also get advice from people other than TSRians, tutors at school/careers advisors ect.

If you aren't sure about the air traffic controller thing or any other options then it would be worth it sticking with A levels, it's true they are handy things to have if you want to go into work after (as well as to get into uni, obviously) but there's nothing wrong with deciding trying something else instead of A levels, like I said, they don't suit everyone.

ReputationRep:
    You do need A Levels to be an Air Traffic Controller. It says it in the requirements. I know because I was thinking about this a while back

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ReadMyMind)
    You do need A Levels to be an Air Traffic Controller. It says it in the requirements. I know because I was thinking about this a while back

link please?

ReputationRep:
    You need A-levels for that.

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question...7132648AAidDwh

It's only 2 years of intense work. Suck it up, *****.

ReputationRep:
    Since you have to be 18 to apply anyway, you might as well stick your A-levels out and see how it goes. If it turns out ATC isn't for you, then you have something to fall back on.

self teach a levels?

ReputationRep:
    Motivate yourself.

ReputationRep:
    explain to your head of 6th form/college/etc how you feel and that you might improve and feel more positive if you just did 3 subjects so that the workload is less and easier to cope with (:

ReputationRep:
    That was written 2 years ago, on the official website it doesnt say anything about A levels. but who knows. I'm leaving to start a BTEC Diploma in IT in January and take home A Levels/Evening classes at the same time, thanks

ReputationRep:
    Find people to mess around with until you adjust with your lesson - obviously study at home whilst doing it

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately my maturity levels when I happened to be in 6th form were very slack and partially caused failure however, I moved to college, began to grow up and I am now achieving very high grades.

I did not enjoy 6th form very much at all and still to this day I do not believe someone can work to their maximum potential if they do not enjoy the institution or their course.

AS - Geography E
    AS - Human Biology U
    OCR - Travel and Tourism U

BTEC First years Medical Science - Distinction
    BTEC Second years, Predicted - Distinction, Distinction, Distinction.

Just a change of location and course brought the intelligence out of me.

Just a note if you do wish to exchange to a college, take note you will be there for a minimum of two years and also be adviced that hard work is imperitive as any failure or switching course means you may have to start a new one at 19. This can be very expensive so keep your options open, think about what you would like to do...then go for it!

ReputationRep:
    Drop a subject and concentrate on three.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilyking)
    few people get anywhere without a degree than someone who does have a degree, yet alone no a levels.

I'd recommend that you just bear with it, for your own sake

If you're finding it difficult drop one subject and take three
    disagree. you will fail, if you dont have the right frame of mind. stay determined and strong, if so, you can achive anything you want - degree or no degree.

ReputationRep:
    true say dont suffer and waste two years if you know that it is not what you want to do

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.