Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to do 5 AS levels in maths, physics, philosophy, fine art and environmental studies. Is that too many?

ReputationRep:
    no

ReputationRep:
    Probably, A levels are hard work, but if you think you can handle the stress of it all then go for it, you may get better grades just doing 4 though, could end up with 5 B's or 4 A's.

ReputationRep:
    That is ALOT

But it depends on you, how did you do in your GSCE's?

Im doing four atm, and im struggling

ReputationRep:
    I think 5 is a bit much but if you can handle them all then you will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Some people can handle it, some can't. You've got two quite coursework-y subjects (fine art and philosophy) so that might take up a lot of your time. To be honest, I did bio, chem, phys, maths and further maths and struggled, so dropped bio after a term, but I'm lazy. Your best bet would be to start off with the five, and if you find it a struggle, drop one. You might find it alright, you never know

ReputationRep:
    O.k, do you think they're doable at AS, and if it is too much work, I can always drop one at A2.

ReputationRep:
    I got forced to do 5 by my school (as did everyone)
    its too much, i have ignore the fifth one completely (its completely self taught aswell)

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say it's too many, but it isn't really necessary- unis normally only give offers with 3 A2 levels, occasionally 4, but certainly never 5!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    If you can handle it, go ahead, but it will be a lot of work. I'd only do 5 if you had a really burning interest for your fifth choice, because no university asks for 5AS. I chose 5 essay subjects at the beginning, but dropped one and changed one to a language because I knew I'd struggle but as you've got a mix it might be more okay to cope with

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    At my college (good, but still state non-selective) it was standard for anyone who got more than 7 Bs at GCSE to do five AS levels. You should be fine as long as you work hard and you're pretty intelligent.

Normally you then dropped two at the start of A2 and took up an enrichment (EPQ or similar), although quite a few did four A2s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FuzzySheep)
    If you can handle it, go ahead, but it will be a lot of work. I'd only do 5 if you had a really burning interest for your fifth choice, because no university asks for 5AS. I chose 5 essay subjects at the beginning, but dropped one and changed one to a language because I knew I'd struggle but as you've got a mix it might be more okay to cope with

Good luck!
    Physics and mathematics are exam based, art and philosophy is more course work and I'm not sure about environmental studies, this s what it says on the college website ''A variety of teaching methods will be used, including fieldwork and laboratory practicals, group work and discussions. The course will help you to develop practical skills of data collection and analysis as well as essay writing techniques. There is no coursework.

A variety of fieldwork activities will be undertaken both in the local area and a residential field course is organised each year. The cost is variable and depends upon the destination.''

If it is too much, I'll just drop philosophy at A2.

ReputationRep:
    no....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rob da Mop)
    At my college (good, but still state non-selective) it was standard for anyone who got more than 7 Bs at GCSE to do five AS levels. You should be fine as long as you work hard and you're pretty intelligent.

Normally you then dropped two at the start of A2 and took up an enrichment (EPQ or similar), although quite a few did four A2s.
    O.k, thanks... I'll most likely drop philosophy at A2 because it doesn't seem as interesting as the AS modules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King-Panther)
    I want to do 5 AS levels in maths, physics, philosophy, fine art and environmental studies. Is that too many?
    Some five-subject mixes are manageable (by some people), but adding Fine Art to the mix is far too much. It has one of the highest workloads for an A level subject, and the requirements to reach an A grade are pretty ridiculous.

Contrary to what this website may show, most students take three A levels. If you really wish to take Fine Art, do no more than four A levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)
    Some five-subject mixes are manageable (by some people), but adding Fine Art to the mix is far too much. It has one of the highest workloads for an A level subject, and the requirements to reach an A grade are pretty ridiculous.

Contrary to what this website may show, most students take three A levels. If you really wish to take Fine Art, do no more than four A levels.
    Yeah, well I will do the 5 for AS and drop Philosophy for A2. The A2 modules don't seem very interesting.

ReputationRep:
    well to be fair, environmental studies is a fairly rubbish A Level and will just bog you down especially as you're doing fine art which will take up extortionate amounts of your time!!

In case you don't beleive me:

http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

(Although I no it says environmental science in its blacklist, it's virtually the same, i.e. useless )

who's ever heard of environmental studies for A level anyway?!?!

to see which subjects are a good bet:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Respected_A_Levels

although some may not see art as being as beneficial if you like it, then my advice would be to take it as there's no problem normally in having 1 blacklisted subject as long as the others (maths, physics and philosophy in your case) are good, which they are and very respected at that!

so yes, in short, my advice would definitely be not to take environmental studies as it may drag down your grades in everything else, especially when you will be spening so much time doing art!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by conzag123)
    well to be fair, environmental studies is a fairly rubbish A Level and will just bog you down especially as you're doing fine art which will take up extortionate amounts of your time!!

In case you don't beleive me:

http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

(Although I no it says environmental science in its blacklist, it's virtually the same, i.e. useless )

who's ever heard of environmental studies for A level anyway?!?!

to see which subjects are a good bet:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Respected_A_Levels

although some may not see art as being as beneficial if you like it, then my advice would be to take it as there's no problem normally in having 1 blacklisted subject as long as the others (maths, physics and philosophy in your case) are good, which they are and very respected at that!

so yes, in short, my advice would definitely be not to take environmental studies as it may drag down your grades in everything else, especially when you will be spening so much time doing art!!

Thank you, that was very helpful... I may take you advice as it makes sense..... Also, a sustainable built environment as well as autonomous buildings are extremely important in architecture, and I think environmental studies does involves work based around natural resources as well as sustainable living... However, studying it at AS does show an interest.

ReputationRep:
    I would take geography/biology instead of environmental science tbh. Beware of the high workload that may arise from Fine Art A-level. Other than that, if you are motivated to do well, you will do well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathew551)
    I would take geography/biology instead of environmental science tbh. Beware of the high workload that may arise from Fine Art A-level. Other than that, if you are motivated to do well, you will do well.
    Have you studied fine art yourself?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.