Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got a clue how to fit a wireless box into my room?

I'm in Sibly & we have an ethernet cable to connect to the laptop but I'm paying for wireless access on my phone so it would be easier if I could use my router to get this wifi.

Only problem is, I don't know how to do it.

It's a linksys wireless router, I've plugged the ethernet cable into the back of it, and followed instructions on wikihelp type websites - gone through all the instructions, typed all my passwords in & codes etc - it's just not connecting to the internet.

I know its not a faulty box, I tried it at home before I came - does this mean my halls aren't allowing access through routers?

Anyone on here got an idea ?

ReputationRep:
    I can almost guarantee that your uni will have put measures in place to stop people from doing this. Presumably your computer has to be registered with the network before you can use it? I.e. did it work the moment you plugged it in or did you have to fill in some kind of form in your web browser?

A quick browse of Reading Uni's IT pages indicates that you can only connect computers (PC/Mac) to their Internet connections, not anything else. I may be wrong, though.

As gamer91 below me says, if you put your router in Bridge Mode or PPPoE mode (can't remember the difference between the two) then it might work. Minimal settings are required as all it would be doing is rerouting the connection.

ReputationRep:
    I was in sibly last year and there were defiantly access points running, and peoples switches for xbox/pc connections worked fine, so it should be possible.

my guess would be that you need to disable DHCP and run it as a basic access point, best thing to do would be to seek out a CS student and get them to sort you out, rather than take too many wild guesses.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks folks, got it to work for about 30 minutes the other night, then it disconnected & haven't been able to get it up and running since, so I'll see if I can find someone who may know a bit more of what they're doing

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.