Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I have a quesiton. By the way this is for Core 1 for the Edexcel Board.

This is the exercise im doing.

i done question 1f and i seem to have got it right. but i dont get the hint which is mentioned in the pink box. I have no clue how it relates to 1f. on the cd it elaborates a little

"Use x=2 to see if the curve y=-1/x cuts through the portion of y=x(x-4) that is below the x-axis."

this was my sketch

(Obviously its very wonky here cause i used paint, but you get the point)

why does the cd say "Use x=2 to see if the curve y=-1/x cuts through the portion of y=x(x-4) that is below the x-axis." when quite clearly y= -1/x does cut through the portion of y=x(x-4) that is below the x-axis, so why are they going on about using x=2

im very confused, hope this made sense.

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Using x=2 is just a check to make sure that your sketch is correct. You want to check that y=x(x-4) is below y=-1/x at this point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil_Waite)
    Using x=2 is just a check to make sure that your sketch is correct. You want to check that y=x(x-4) is below y=-1/x at this point.
    Absolutely. None of these questions are difficult tbh - just put x and y, in turn, equal to zero to find intersections with the co-ordinate axes. Then just solve them simultaneously.

ReputationRep:
    It's just a value you can use to check your sketch is correct, probably x=2 was chosen as it's the minimum of y=x(x-4)

ReputationRep:
    http://www.examsolutions.co.uk/a-lev.../C1-Papers.php

ReputationRep:
    Hey I use the same book. It isnt that difficult. What you do is find x=0 and y=0. Then draw curve according to if a>0 or a<0 and b^2<4ac or b^2>4ac. I think in the same book - there is step to step instruction on how to solve it. It helped me - and awful lot. Good Luck =)

ReputationRep:
    i get how to do it , but what i dont get it is why you "Use x=2 to see if the curve y=-1/x cuts through the portion of y=x(x-4) that is below the x-axis."

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.