Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

WiFi dies in one specific spot, fine everywhere else Watch

ReputationRep:
    My housemate's MacBook Pro was having a few issues with connecting to the WiFi/Internet, so I deleted all the settings and started from scratch, and also assigned it a specific IP address on the router to make sure it wasn't clashing with anything else. It seems to be working fine now, however the moment you put it down on the part of the desk that is reserved for his laptop (monitor cable, speaker cable, power cable etc. are there ready to be plugged in) the internet stops working. If you lift it up off the desk, place it on a different part of the desk etc. the webpage immediately loads as usual.

My instinct is that there is something causing interference, but he hasn't changed his setup for at least a week (and the internet was working fine before the issues cropped up a few days ago) so I'm completely baffled as to why it's now an issue when it's wasn't before. It's not an issue of range, either; my iPod Touch picks up the WiFi at the other end of the street, and his room is directly above the router. The only thing I have moved is the router during the process of troubleshooting, but moving it back to its original position doesn't help either.

Does anyone have any ideas, or any experience of this problem?

ReputationRep:
    It could just be a weak signal spot. I have had this before in my new room at uni. Despite the signal being fine everywhere else and my bedroom being right above the router. It seemed to be on one side of the room just, as on the other side the signal was fine. Sadly this was the side were my desk and bed are.

I tried everything including testing it on other laptops etc and I couldn't get it to work so concluded it must be something in the way the house is built that I could do nothing about. In the end I gave up and bought one of these:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edimax-EW-74.../dp/B001HW0JVU

Job done. Definitely money well spent. I'm not sure if any of that will help at all as you said it wasn't due to range, but my house mates rooms are much further from the router from me and they're signal was always perfect! Sorry if this has been no use but thought I'd post it anyway!

ReputationRep:
    I have a spare router lying about so I'll try that as a last resort, but what confuses me is how the problem has suddenly sprung up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RightSaidJames)
    I have a spare router lying about so I'll try that as a last resort, but what confuses me is how the problem has suddenly sprung up.
    If the router has external aerials, could they have been moved slightly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrm.)
    If the router has external aerials, could they have been moved slightly?
    Possibly, but I've moved them back to their original position since.

ReputationRep:
    My housemate moved his (turned-off) desktop computer away from his desk into a cupboard at which point the issue went away! Weird!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.