Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think it's possible to be completely in love with someone..... Watch

ReputationRep:
    .... that you're not even going out with?
    (sorry, not enough space in the title :p:)

This is a question that's been puzzling me for a while.
    I ask because I think I'm in love with a former classmate, for 2 years I had (what I thought was) a massive crush on him, like I literally thought about him ALL the time, he wouldn't get out of my head! We were pretty good friends and had a lot of classes together, so I saw him every day. But even then, my wee heaqrt skipped a beat every time he walked in the room and all that (yes, cheesy I know!)

I thought it was a silly schoolgirl crush, and that it would go away over the summer and once we moved to uni. But it hasn't at all, even though I haven't seen him in person since June I feel just as strongly for him.

Now, the more I think about it, it was more like love. But the thing is I didn't think it was possible to be in love with someone unless the feelings were reciprocated (don't ask why because I don't even know, I've just always thought of it that way lol)

What do you think? Is it possible to really truly love someone without them loving you??
    Apologies for makng you read a silly mushy girls sob story, just wanted to explain what I meant :p:

i think so. similar situation-- though i did see this guy for a very short while, it was very casual -- but the first time i met him we had this unexplained connection which i never really understood. i fancy him so much- which is indeed prob a lot of lust rather than love- but i genuinely care about him in a different way i have even with guys i've been going out with long term. like i just want to be around him but i also want him to be happy, etc.
    god that sounds weird haha. sad really!

ReputationRep:
    Mhmm!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i feel the same way, except i make it look like i hate him, and he probs hates me for real now. im such a fool!

Yes definitely possible, of course you have to know the person properly (none of this OMG i love blah-blah, we met last week at a party and I haven't seen him since).
    I am still in love with one of my best friends, it used to physically make me feel sick knowing that he didn't feel the same but I got past that. He knows where to find me if he ever changes his mind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Yes definitely possible, of course you have to know the person properly (none of this OMG i love blah-blah, we met last week at a party and I haven't seen him since).
    I am still in love with one of my best friends, it used to physically make me feel sick knowing that he didn't feel the same but I got past that. He knows where to find me if he ever changes his mind
    At least you had the courage to actually tell him!! I kept this under wraps for two whole years It killed me but I was too afraid of rejection, it literally would have broken my heart if he'd have said no

Good to know that it's possible to get through it though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leahcar)
    .... that you're not even going out with?
    (sorry, not enough space in the title :p:)

This is a question that's been puzzling me for a while.
    I ask because I think I'm in love with a former classmate, for 2 years I had (what I thought was) a massive crush on him, like I literally thought about him ALL the time, he wouldn't get out of my head! We were pretty good friends and had a lot of classes together, so I saw him every day. But even then, my wee heaqrt skipped a beat every time he walked in the room and all that (yes, cheesy I know!)

I thought it was a silly schoolgirl crush, and that it would go away over the summer and once we moved to uni. But it hasn't at all, even though I haven't seen him in person since June I feel just as strongly for him.

Now, the more I think about it, it was more like love. But the thing is I didn't think it was possible to be in love with someone unless the feelings were reciprocated (don't ask why because I don't even know, I've just always thought of it that way lol)

What do you think? Is it possible to really truly love someone without them loving you??
    Apologies for makng you read a silly mushy girls sob story, just wanted to explain what I meant :p:
    Simple answer, totally. It does not matter if you have been together or not love is not that easy, or it would not have been the inspiration for so much art.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    i think so. similar situation-- though i did see this guy for a very short while, it was very casual -- but the first time i met him we had this unexplained connection which i never really understood. i fancy him so much- which is indeed prob a lot of lust rather than love- but i genuinely care about him in a different way i have even with guys i've been going out with long term. like i just want to be around him but i also want him to be happy, etc.
    god that sounds weird haha. sad really!
    You know I could have written that word for word about a girl I was seeing last year, literally. I care about her in a way that goes beyond and into something different than a girlfriend. I don't how to explain it either, but that connection was there from the first moment as well. Even if we are not together as we have both been seeing other people it would have been nice to share things. Still do not understand at all, but it was nice to find a new feeling for someone that is totally pure. I just want her to be happy as well!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 3, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.