Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Grades Appraised Tuition Fees (GATFs) -An idea? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Firstly I would like to point out that you are welcome to Google "GATFs" but you will not find anything related to what I am about to put forward to this forum).

-Disclaimer- This is purely hypothetical, I am leaving it up to the good/bad people of TSR to discuss this further and possibly provide feedback and suggestions.

================================ ================================ ================================ ================

After seeing the arguments, "for" and "against" tuition fees I would like to put forward this idea I thought about recently. This idea hybridises the traditional idea of a scholarships and grants awarded to universities along with the tuition fees.

The GATF (Grades Appraised Tuition Fees) system would work like this:

1. Universities are given their funding from bodies for dispensation through their GATF system.
    2. Secondary Students after receiving their Highers/A-Levels will proceed with their UCAS application as normal.
    3. Once applications are received, the applicants grades would be compared with the minimum academic requirements for the course.
    4. Once satisfying the basic requirements the grades and other academics merits will be put through an appraisal system. If the student surpasses the criteria by a certain level or shows giftedness in a certain area. Then a discount to the course fees would be offered along with the UCAS offer.
    5. To factor in the background of a student another discount will be given from the university if proof is shown of having come from hardship.
    6. The student will also be given an optional discount to their tuition fees if they accept and commit to the university's offer before a certain deadline.

So in summary:

-If you meet the requirements = you get in!
    -If you meet the requirements, are gifted and poor = you get a big discount!
    -If you meet the requirements and are gifted = you get a discount!
    -If you accept your offer and don't dabble around your UCAS choices = you get a bigger discount to your tuition fees.

This in theory would make it harder for people who ideally would not be suited to university and would make it easier for those who deserve to be at university.

Limitations
    -Would not stop super wealthy students, but that's just life (haves and have nots).
    -Students may jump the gun on their choices going for a place they less desire than to the one they actually want to go to.

Okay, now you may discuss. Also is there already a system like this out there somewhere that I just haven't found out?

-inb4 roflcopter, cool story bro, mudkipz!

I will however accept pictures of lolcatz and insanity wolf in this thread!

ReputationRep:
    I don't see the argument for giving tuition fee discounts to poorer students, because the loan fully covers the fees and you don't pay them back until you're earning more than £21,000, which anyone should be able manage. I see an argument for giving poorer students grants to supplement their maintenance loan to help with their living costs, but we already have that.

I also don't see the argument for giving the brightest students a discount. I'm not sure what the point would be of giving a discount for people who apply earlier, you'll just have everyone applying before the point where the discount is removed anyway. Going to university is a big decision, so I think it's reasonable to give people a good amount of time to make their decisions.

I think that entry requirements ought to be enough to determine who is and isn't well suited to university. The problem is universities which offer courses with next to no entry requirements (e.g. EE at A-Level), which attract those who are the least suited to university, and which the government then has to fund a part of.

Do you mean that you want to stop "super wealthy students" from going to university? Not sure why you'd want to do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loosebruce)
    (Firstly I would like to point out that you are welcome to Google "GATFs" but you will not find anything related to what I am about to put forward to this forum).

-Disclaimer- This is purely hypothetical, I am leaving it up to the good/bad people of TSR to discuss this further and possibly provide feedback and suggestions.

================================ ================================ ================================ ================

After seeing the arguments, "for" and "against" tuition fees I would like to put forward this idea I thought about recently. This idea hybridises the traditional idea of a scholarships and grants awarded to universities along with the tuition fees.

The GATF (Grades Appraised Tuition Fees) system would work like this:

1. Universities are given their funding from bodies for dispensation through their GATF system.
    2. Secondary Students after receiving their Highers/A-Levels will proceed with their UCAS application as normal.
    3. Once applications are received, the applicants grades would be compared with the minimum academic requirements for the course.
    4. Once satisfying the basic requirements the grades and other academics merits will be put through an appraisal system. If the student surpasses the criteria by a certain level or shows giftedness in a certain area. Then a discount to the course fees would be offered along with the UCAS offer.
    5. To factor in the background of a student another discount will be given from the university if proof is shown of having come from hardship.
    6. The student will also be given an optional discount to their tuition fees if they accept and commit to the university's offer before a certain deadline.

So in summary:

-If you meet the requirements = you get in!
    -If you meet the requirements, are gifted and poor = you get a big discount!
    -If you meet the requirements and are gifted = you get a discount!
    -If you accept your offer and don't dabble around your UCAS choices = you get a bigger discount to your tuition fees.

This in theory would make it harder for people who ideally would not be suited to university and would make it easier for those who deserve to be at university.

Limitations
    -Would not stop super wealthy students, but that's just life (haves and have nots).
    -Students may jump the gun on their choices going for a place they less desire than to the one they actually want to go to.

Okay, now you may discuss. Also is there already a system like this out there somewhere that I just haven't found out?

-inb4 roflcopter, cool story bro, mudkipz!

I will however accept pictures of lolcatz and insanity wolf in this thread!
    This is my main point of contention. I don't like the idea that subjects, especially the arts, are quantified already. This system extends that system to the university which although you could argue wouldn't bring about standardisation of assessing a student, I would say in response that the middling universities will begin to copy the methods used by the Russell Group and you will eventually get a standardised, centralised system of allowing students into university.

I don't think, in any subject, you can really apply an objective assessment of an individual's ability in it. Let's take Computing. In the A Level, you have to create a project which is fairly verbose as well as having a fair amount of coding in it. I know guys who find it difficult simply because of that very fact; they're better at coding. In the same way, if you standardise the entry requirements for the Computing university course, you'll get people who've been coached and are very good at passing the exam and then those who might be exceptional in other areas left on the heap.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think, in any subject, you can really apply an objective assessment of an individual's ability in it. Let's take Computing. In the A Level, you have to create a project which is fairly verbose as well as having a fair amount of coding in it. I know guys who find it difficult simply because of that very fact; they're better at coding. In the same way, if you standardise the entry requirements for the Computing university course, you'll get people who've been coached and are very good at passing the exam and then those who might be exceptional in other areas left on the heap.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the feedback, as a Applied Computing Postgraduate I can see your point.

I just thought I would put my idea out there as I am procrastinating in-between my revision.

ReputationRep:
    What about do the appraisal based on performance AT university.
    ie - get a 1st, get a discount
    - get a 2:1 - pay normal amount
    - get a 2:2 or a 3rd, pay more

That will concentrate some minds

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    What about do the appraisal based on performance AT university.
    ie - get a 1st, get a discount
    - get a 2:1 - pay normal amount
    - get a 2:2 or a 3rd, pay more

That will concentrate some minds
    I don't think that would work because those with 2:2s and 3rds are less likely to get well paid jobs and so wouldn't be able to pay pay back the higher tuition fees and would still end up paying less. Unless you want to make them pay the fees upfront which will make university only for the rich who can afford it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 4, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.