Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Was thinking about doing this rather than Software Engineering or Electrical Engineering on their own. They offer it as both Beng and Bsc, I have been told the only difference in the first 3 years comes in the first year maths that is done. Both BEng and BSc students do Computing Science 1P and 1Q and Electronic Engineering 1X and 1Y. BSc ESE students do Maths 1R and 1T (1S) and BEng ESE students do Engineering Maths EE1X and EE1Y.

I do not know which degree would be best for me to do. I am in the midst of doing AH Maths this year, so I presume that mean I would find it easier to do the BSc as I would probably know a lot of the maths. But then I think that could be a waste of time.

tl;dr difference between Maths/Engineering Maths, also what do I do :|

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for that information, I never knew it worked that way. One more question though, if I don't do Engineering Maths do you think I would be disadvantaged in 4th year if I went on to the MEng curriculum, or would it not matter too much?

Also, would it make much difference which one I applied to? I have to apply to either the BSc or BEng in the first instance. BEng wants same grades as BSc, except including Maths and Physics, but then it mentions for the MEng it wants Maths/Physics at A/B or B/A. I only got B/B.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very, very much. I will apply for the BSc and then see how I get on from there.

ReputationRep:
    Thought I would bring this back up. I got my offer for the BSc course. I have found out that the only difference in the first 4 years between BSc and BEng is the first year Math classes, Math and Engineering Math respectively. I would be able to transfer to the BEng instead before I start in September, the only problem is I believe that it would leave my options less open for third year. I couldn't continue on with just Comp Sci/Math as I wouldn't have enough Science credits to do that. I believe I can transfer to the BEng in the third year, but would that require higher grade averages/requirements compared to staying on the BSc path in third year?

Also, anyone that has done Engineering Math at Glasgow that could maybe explain how it differs to the more general first year Math classes would be appreciated.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.