Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm doing AS level physics, and we are doing the OCR Advancing Physics course. It's a bit of a weird one - quite different to my other A levels... Anyway, I really enjoyed physics at GCSE, I achieved an A* and pretty much aced the exams. I thought I was coping pretty well with the course, I was doing well with questions and mostly understanding the calculations, my teacher predicted me an A. We are getting near the end of chapter 5 (which is the last chapter before the January exams) so my teacher decided to give us a past exam paper at the end of the day - all I can say is OH. MY. GOD...

Is it me or are the exams ridiculously hard? I mean I thought chemistry and maths exams were bad, but they're nothing compared to this. We were given it at the end of the lesson, so I haven't really discussed with my peers, but I'm one of the smartest in the class and I'm just baffled. The questions are very wordy and a lot of the time I don't even know what they're asking, let along how to apply the theory and calculations.

Basically I was just wondering if anyone doing/has done the course can give me some advice. Is there a technique to answering the questions? Are the exams naturally hard, and the grade boundaries low? Or is it my teacher, we don't tend to follow the textbook too closely as it is very wordy and confusing so is that perhaps what I'm struggling with.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukas1051)
    So I'm doing AS level physics, and we are doing the OCR Advancing Physics course. It's a bit of a weird one - quite different to my other A levels... Anyway, I really enjoyed physics at GCSE, I achieved an A* and pretty much aced the exams. I thought I was coping pretty well with the course, I was doing well with questions and mostly understanding the calculations, my teacher predicted me an A. We are getting near the end of chapter 5 (which is the last chapter before the January exams) so my teacher decided to give us a past exam paper at the end of the day - all I can say is OH. MY. GOD...

Is it me or are the exams ridiculously hard? I mean I thought chemistry and maths exams were bad, but they're nothing compared to this. We were given it at the end of the lesson, so I haven't really discussed with my peers, but I'm one of the smartest in the class and I'm just baffled. The questions are very wordy and a lot of the time I don't even know what they're asking, let along how to apply the theory and calculations.

Basically I was just wondering if anyone doing/has done the course can give me some advice. Is there a technique to answering the questions? Are the exams naturally hard, and the grade boundaries low? Or is it my teacher, we don't tend to follow the textbook too closely as it is very wordy and confusing so is that perhaps what I'm struggling with.

Thanks
    Master exam technique. Do as many past papers as you can. Buy one of those physics book that has loads of questions in it for your A-Level course. Do as many as you can. Try to remember all the formula, it really helps when you don't have that much time in the exam. Look at the mark schemes and see what exactly they are looking for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliakhtar)
    Master exam technique. Do as many past papers as you can. Buy one of those physics book that has loads of questions in it for your A-Level course. Do as many as you can. Try to remember all the formula, it really helps when you don't have that much time in the exam. Look at the mark schemes and see what exactly they are looking for.
    Yeah, I've been told all about general exam technique, I'm just finding it particularly hard for this specific exam. The style of the questions are very... confusing. I think I just need to do plenty more exam papers, I mean the exam is in January so there is plenty of time. Thanks though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukas1051)
    Yeah, I've been told all about general exam technique, I'm just finding it particularly hard for this specific exam. The style of the questions are very... confusing. I think I just need to do plenty more exam papers, I mean the exam is in January so there is plenty of time. Thanks though.
    Hey Lukas, if you having any trouble with your preparation for this physics exam, please message me, with any questions you have, or that you would like help with. I will do my best to help you.

I wish you all the best with your exams especially your physics exam.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.