Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

what is the highest grade i can get without re-sits? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi well I did AS last year in English Lang and Lit combined and I got a D I got 55/80 so a C for the coursework and 64/120 a D for the exam
    I really do not want to re-sit but I am curious to know what the highest grade I could get is if I got near to full marks in A2. I did get the exam re-marked but they lost my paper- stupid AQA!

I have just handed in the A2 coursework which I am actually really proud of. I think my english is really good now and I wanted to make up the marks I lost in my AS exam on the coursework. I would be really happy with a C in English A level so any feedback is good.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, you should re-sit the whole thing.

A C is pretty pointless nowadays when the average grades are something like BBB.

Having an A-level at grade C just means that you've spent two years studying but barely differentiated yourself from the rest of the workforce.

ReputationRep:
    The maximum you can get is 79.75% which I think is rounded down to 79%, so a B but I'm not too sure, because you got 59.5% in your AS yet they didn't round it up to 60% which would have been a C.. You can get this with full marks at A2 without retaking anything else - you would be one mark of an A* in this case!

If you want to have a better chance at getting a B, or even an A/A*, you should retake one unit. I would take the exam because you could get more marks although it might be easier if you take the coursework unit again, I don't know.

Push yourself and aim for a B or an A/A*. If you think you've become good at English, prove it!

ReputationRep:
    If you got full marks in the A2 you'd get 119+200 = 319. That is a B - just one mark off an A*!

However it's not likely you will get that if you got a D in the AS. Here's what you need for other grades (without retaking):

A/A* - impossible
    B - 161 to 200 in the A2
    C - 121 to 160
    D - 81 to 120
    E - 41 to 80
    U - 40 or below

ReputationRep:
    if you got full marks youd get just over 79 % so a very high B, unless they rounded it up to 80% which is an A. but youd have to do amazingly to get completely full marks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bubbaa)
    if you got full marks youd get just over 79 % so a very high B, unless they rounded it up to 80% which is an A. but youd have to do amazingly to get completely full marks!
    They don't round it up - it's done by UMS. So an A is 320 UMS or above, regardless of the fact that 319 is only 0.25% below it :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathew551)
    The maximum you can get is 79.75% which I think is rounded down to 79%, so a B but I'm not too sure, because you got 59.5% in your AS yet they didn't round it up to 60% which would have been a C.. You can get this with full marks at A2 without retaking anything else - you would be one mark of an A* in this case!

If you want to have a better chance at getting a B, or even an A/A*, you should retake one unit. I would take the exam because you could get more marks although it might be easier if you take the coursework unit again, I don't know.

Push yourself and aim for a B or an A/A*. If you think you've become good at English, prove it!
    An A* is 90% isn't it? A is 80%.

They couldn't get an A* at all though; if I remember correctly you need to get at least 80% in AS and then over 90% in A2 for an A*.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    If you got full marks in the A2 you'd get 119+200 = 319. That is a B - just one mark off an A*!

However it's not likely you will get that if you got a D in the AS. Here's what you need for other grades (without retaking):

A/A* - impossible
    B - 161 to 200 in the A2
    C - 121 to 160
    D - 81 to 120
    E - 41 to 80
    U - 40 or below
    Don't you mean one mark off an A? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)

They couldn't get an A* at all though; if I remember correctly you need to get at least 80% in AS and then over 90% in A2 for an A*.
    An A* is 80% over the whole A level and 90% in the A2, so if OP got full marks in the A2 she'd be 1 mark off an A*. Somebody could get 60% at AS and 100% at A2 and get an A* - in fact, it'd be impossible for them to get an A.

ReputationRep:
    They don't round it up - it's done by UMS. So an A is 320 UMS or above
    Yeah, that

ReputationRep:

80% in the A-level.

ReputationRep:
    An A* is 80% over the whole A level and 90% in the A2, so if OP got full marks in the A2 she'd be 1 mark off an A*. Somebody could get 60% at AS and 100% at A2 and get an A* - in fact, it'd be impossible for them to get an A.
    Really? My college has been explaining it incorrectly for a year then :lolwut: that sounds like a terrible system.

ReputationRep:
    Really? My college has been explaining it incorrectly for a year then :lolwut: that sounds like a terrible system.
    Really :rofl: It is a bit confusing - you should let your college know!

I guess it's there to reward people who improve loads in their A2? idk :dontknow:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...des_at_A-level

To get an A*, you must meet the following two requirements:

80% UMS overall (i.e. the current requirements for an A).
    90% UMS overall in the A2 units.
    That's all there is to it. You don't get an A* for 90% overall. Only the A2 units (i.e. the units normally taken in Year 13) count towards the award of an A*. Even if you get 100% in your AS units, 89% in your A2 ones isn't enough for an A*. Similarly, you don't need to get an A at AS to get an A* at A2 if you get 90% in the A2 units, and assuming your A2 marks are high enough to pull your AS marks to an A grade overall.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.