Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So ive applied for a law course next year (LLB) at:

Westminster
    Liverpool John Moores
    Lincoln
    Leeds Met
    Chester

Ive currently got offers from LJMU, Lincoln and Leeds met. But realisticly which one would i be best going to if i wanna be a barrister.

Im hoping to get ABB or ABC at the end of my a levels

ReputationRep:
    Please??

ReputationRep:
    I'd say Lincoln or Chester simply because they're ranked better according to The Times Online and The Guardian..

ReputationRep:
    Realistically you have very little prospect of achieving your ambition straight from university.

I am not wishing to be nasty about this but there are perhaps 500-600 training places for the bar each year. A substantial proportion of these have had a previous career. Ignoring those who do a law conversion, about 22,500 people gain a qualifying law degree each year.

I think you need to think seriously about your future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    Realistically you have very little prospect of achieving your ambition straight from university.

I am not wishing to be nasty about this but there are perhaps 500-600 training places for the bar each year. A substantial proportion of these have had a previous career. Ignoring those who do a law conversion, about 22,500 people gain a qualifying law degree each year.

I think you need to think seriously about your future.

I'll report back to you in 4 years time when ive got a first degree in law. People like you make me even more determined. and so you know, ive had 4 offers come back all have given me a conditional offer so far, just waiting for one more.

I dont need to seriously think about my future at all, I know how many people apply for the bvc, ive researched this; after all ive wanted to be a barrister since i was 11. Thanks for the motivation to prove you wrong!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missnatalie1710)
    I'll report back to you in 4 years time when ive got a first degree in law. People like you make me even more determined. and so you know, ive had 4 offers come back all have given me a conditional offer so far, just waiting for one more.

I dont need to seriously think about my future at all, I know how many people apply for the bvc, ive researched this; after all ive wanted to be a barrister since i was 11. Thanks for the motivation to prove you wrong!
    I think Lincoln is probably the best of those, but you will be fighting a serious uphill battle to get a pupillage. People with degrees from Oxford, Cambridge, and redbrick universities have real difficulty getting a pupillage, and on paper they are much stronger candidates than people with degrees from the universities to which you've applied. Even with a first class degree and strong extracurriculars, it will be very tough to get a pupillage with a degree from Lincoln. About 1 in 4 people who apply for pupillage actually get one.

It's far easier to get an offer to go to university than to get an offer of a pupillage--every single pupillage applicant has a degree, and most of the applicants have a good degree (2:i or better) from a good uni. You need to do some research on the bar, look at the statistics, and think about whether this is really feasible. It's easy to dismiss the advice of someone who tells you that your dream might be far more difficult to achieve than you realise--but Nulli is a practicing lawyer, so I'd take his advice seriously. It really doesn't seem like you've researched this properly.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 16, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.