The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Cup of water is very interesting, you racist.
Original post by Tessaaa
okay so I'll be heading there in the near future to further my education. but i heard really nasty things about the uk. so i'd like to clarify a few things:

1) Do all the shops really close at 5pm?
It's kind of unbelievable, considering how some retail stores close at 11pm here.

Not all shops no; most high street shops will close at 5.30. Supermarkets and convenience stores are generally open 24/7 from Monday to Saturday. Sunday hours usually open later and close earlier. Many stores in shopping centres will have at least one night where they're open for long hours.

2) Are the students really normally confined to their dorms, or campuses on weekdays?

God no.

3) Are all the international students really like over-the-top nerds who mug almost 24/7?

Lots are, not all. Somewhat depends on the university that you're going to. Regardless, if the international community is really dull, then look to the domestic students for good times.

4) Is life really going to be as boring and bland as a cup of water?

If all the above are true, then I'll have to re-think my decision :/

Only if you don't make an effort to engage with British life. If you do I guarantee you'll have some fun. We're all right really :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by Tessaaa

It's kind of unbelievable, considering how some retail stores close at 11pm here.

yes, according to british licensing law, stores cannot legally open after 5PM.

Original post by Tessaaa

2) Are the students really normally confined to their dorms, or campuses on weekdays?

unfortunately yes, most accommodation managers prevent the residents from leaving the residence except with express permission from the university to grant them access to their lectures.

Original post by Tessaaa

3) Are all the international students really like over-the-top nerds who mug almost 24/7?

yep, all of them.

Original post by Tessaaa

usually, but sometimes we get to have tea with the queen.
Reply 23
Original post by Tessaaa

The shops are generally only open between 4:59pm and 5:00pm, because that's when the soldiers arrive on the streets and the nightly curfew begins. You must be very quick in order to run your errands.

Sometimes, when it rains, they might not open at all.

The word "dorm" is not generally used in the UK, especially in the context of university accommodation. In any case, curfew applies and alcohol is forbidden. "Students" are social outcasts and have been forbidden from mixing with the rest of the UK population since the Time Wasting and Layabout Social Exclusion Act (1976) was passed.

Does not compute. Please rephrase.

If you are, it will be. Occasionally there's an act of wanton violence, people crashing their cars on icy roundabouts and sometimes the soldiers brutally suppress tuition fee protests with live ammo. That spices life up a bit - get yourself a drink and watch.

They are all true, unfortunately. I wish I'd emigrated, I hate this country and have my heart set on Somalia because I'm barred from returning to North Korea.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by Tessaaa
okay so I'll be heading there in the near future to further my education. but i heard really nasty things about the uk. so i'd like to clarify a few things:

1 - where did u hear that bull **** ?
2 - depends on the student, either way there is nothing wrong - but it's up to the students to do whatever they like, if you want to go out at 3am, im sure ull find others likeminded
3 - i am international student and this really is insulting. think before making comments and statements.
4 - No.

btw, no need to be so cocky, nobody's begging you to come to the UK :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
and everyone drinks tea, plays croquet, salutes the Queen and country daily at 5pm and has a personal butler called Jools, some people have one called Alfred
Reply 26
Original post by Tessaaa

by the way, just out of curiousity, where are you from? are you by any chance from bulgaria or poland?
Original post by Tessaaa

Depends on your race.
Reply 28
I've heard that the locals were racists but I never knew it was this horrible. Most of the replies seem to be attempts to deter me from studying in the uk.
Original post by vahik92
2 - depends on the student, either way there is nothing wrong - but it's up to the students to do whatever they like, if you want to go out at 3am, im sure ull find others likeminded
3 - i am international student and this really is insulting. think before making comments and statements.
4 - No.

btw, no need to be so cocky :tongue:

100% agreed
Reply 30
Why don't you just piss off? Re-think you decision without chatting crap with stereotypes/
Reply 31
Original post by vahik92
4 - No.

btw, no need to be so cocky :tongue:

I'm sorry if I seemed cocky, but i assure you I wasn't being cocky or anything.

And to the people who asked for my nationality, I'm from the little red dot on the world map, called Singapore, an old british colony which was cowardly abandoned by the british government when the Japanese attacked us before we gained independence.

Ugh. I hate how mean some or rather most of the replies are.
Reply 32
Reply 33
p.s don't be offended, its the way TSR works, folks can be cold.
Reply 34
Original post by Tessaaa

And to the people who asked for my nationality, I'm from the little red dot on the world map, called Singapore, an old british colony which was cowardly abandoned by the british government when the Japanese attacked us before we gained independence.

You come on to a British student website and openly insult our country with your ridiculous stereotypes and how they may put you off from studying here because you're oh-so-above our 'boring' culture, and you expect us to be polite?

Idiot.
Reply 35
Original post by IlexBlue
You come on to a British student website and openly insult our country with your ridiculous stereotypes and how they may put you off from studying here because you're oh-so-above our 'boring' culture, and you expect us to be polite?

Idiot.

I've ran out of rep points but you couldn't be more right.

I thought OP was American at first. :teehee:

Anyway, I doubt OP would like it here anyway. Too cold for a Singaporean. :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 36
I think its in response to the attitude you seem to be expressing towards people who live in the uk.

Most smaller shops close at 5, larger stores may close later, supermarkets definately close later. Although if you have access to the internet you can order your shopping to be delivered to your door normally between 8am-10pm so you dont even have to leave your room :P

Students tend to go out drinking more often on weeknights rather than weekends where i am due to the city being quite busy on the weekends. During weekdays its usually a good idea to do uni work though...but that depends on how you want to study...

International students are the same diverse people as everyone else, (now who's the racist one?) Some may seem more like 'nerds' because they appreciate how much they have to pay to do a degree here and so make more of an effort to ensure the money isn't wasted.

All in all, lifes as boring as you make it...if you think its going to be boring, dont make any effort, and/or continue to have the same opinions of the uk as you do now then yes your time here will be miserable.
Reply 37
Original post by Tessaaa

maybe some others or rather most of the repliers felt the same way as you do after reading your initial question hence why your feelings?
In my experience most shops do close at 5pm, except supermarkets.

Everything else in your post is just wrong though.
Original post by Tessaaa
I've heard that the locals were racists but I never knew it was this horrible. Most of the replies seem to be attempts to deter me from studying in the uk.

What a shame...

Latest

Trending

Trending