Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Office (UK) - Do you like it? POLL Watch

• View Poll Results: What do you think of The Office n ting?
    I love it!
    59.52%
    It's alright I suppose...Not bothered
    14.29%
    I hate it!
    19.05%
    The...what? Never heard of it. I live in a cave.
    7.14%

ReputationRep:
    Hai TSR!

I'm bored and rather than :work: I thought I'd raid the DVD cabinet to find something good to watch - I came across The Office box set (not literally :sexface: ) - All series including the Christmas specials. I haven't watched it for about a year, so I wacked series 1 on and have watched all episodes over the course of the day, and it's made me laugh as much as ever. Forgot how good it was!
    I'm a huge fan of the hit UK series' "The Office" and I think it's the best comedy series ever made - obviously subjective, but the way it's written with such subtleties and how they play on Brent's delirious pomposity and arrogance, when really he's a mug.
    Gervais as a comedian is also king IMO. You either hate him or love him though.

It's way better than any other country's version, particularly the US version - it really annoys me when people say "OOhhh US version is way better than the Original!" - How can that be possible? How can something be better than the original version, when it's based on it?!

So, do you like The Office or loathe it?

Poll!

muchlove xx

ReputationRep:
    I like the American one but not keen on the British one

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's ok.

ReputationRep:
    What office are you talking about?

There's lots of offices in the UK. Without them where would people work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holly Hiskey)
    I like the American one but not keen on the British one
    That's what she said :ahee:

:getmecoat:

US>UK for me also, it's a shame not that many people watch the US version or even give it a try but meh, you're the ones missing out!

ReputationRep:
    Your post was good until you said people can't prefer the American version :facepalm2:

It's a completely different show, it's had seven seasons of character development but even in Season two it veered into it's own path. The only similarity was that it was about a group of people at work with an obnoxious boss.

Prefer the Gervais/Merchant version though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student#254)
    What office are you talking about?

There's lots of offices in the UK. Without them where would people work?
    Bad joke is really bad.

ReputationRep:
    Cmon though. Gervais' portrayal is epic! Beats any other attempted version from the Chilean one to the American one!

Gervais is the best comedian out there. Merchant also doesn't get enough credit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanNature1992)
    US>UK for me also, it's a shame not that many people watch the US version or even give it a try but meh, you're the ones missing out!
    I also prefer the US one - although the newer stuff isn't as good and will get much worse when Steve Carell leaves.

Whenever I even suggest, to friends, that the US version is worth watching, I get lectured on how nothing that is remade by Americans could ever be as good or better. I think some people just refuse to like it or watch it on principle. :rolleyes:

The American one really is better than the UK version. Dwight :adore:

ReputationRep:
      UK all the way. What's so good about the US version?

ReputationRep:
      sooo old now.

ReputationRep:
      He owes a lot to Steve Coogan

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Fusion)
      He owes a lot to Steve Coogan
      Why does he?

ReputationRep:
      It's good, I enjoy it, but I wouldn't say I love it. Not one of my favourites.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by thecdon)
      Why does he?
      He was heavily influenced by Alan Partridge.

ReputationRep:
      Yesss I find it hilarious, pretty underrated imo but the comedy is worked really well, Martin freeman's awesome in it and David Brent... such an iconic comedic character, his apathy and general doucheyness makes the show good

ReputationRep:
      Much prefer the american one.

Probably because i'm not much of a Ricky Gervaise fan.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
      Yesss I find it hilarious, pretty underrated imo but the comedy is worked really well, Martin freeman's awesome in it and David Brent... such an iconic comedic character, his apathy and general doucheyness makes the show good
      Totally agree buddy! Repped!

ReputationRep:
      love it, haven't seen any of the american one yet

(Original post by Fusion)
      He was heavily influenced by Alan Partridge.
      you should watch Operation Good Guys, i would be very surprised if ricky wasn't influenced by it

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.