Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone

I would like to ask a question on something which seems to be a big misconception (at least in my house): heating.

If you have a gas central heating system, does it cost you less if you leave 3/4 of your radiators in your house off instead of having them all on?

I am asking this question from an unbiased angle specifically so I can pass this on to my house mates to get a fair response.

ReputationRep:
    Radiators off = cheaper. Heating water uses gas (unless you have a solar water heater). Gas costs money. A lot of money.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it will.I don't mean to patronise but you should only heat the rooms you are using.You can cut your heating bill by buying insulation for your loft,Closing internal doors and turn the radiators down and wear another layer.Oh you could put all the radiators on at like 1-2 before you go to uni or work and still have warm house when you come back.
    Apologies for the essay,Tom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    Radiators off = cheaper. Heating water uses gas (unless you have a solar water heater). Gas costs money. A lot of money.
    Thank you for this. And by that do you mean it would be cheaper to "put the heating on" when only 3 radiators are switched on as opposed to 7 for example?

(Just to clarify)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesair99)
    Hello everyone

I would like to ask a question on something which seems to be a big misconception (at least in my house): heating.

If you have a gas central heating system, does it cost you less if you leave 3/4 of your radiators in your house off instead of having them all on?

I am asking this question from an unbiased angle specifically so I can pass this on to my house mates to get a fair response.
    1000 radiators are going to use more energy than 1 radiators, by extension, 2 radiators are going to use less energy than 8 radiators, so if you leave 3/4 of your radiators off, you use less energy. How the hell can they not realise this?!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for this. And by that do you mean it would be cheaper to "put the heating on" when only 3 radiators are switched on as opposed to 7 for example?

(Just to clarify)
    Yep, the less energy you use the cheaper it is, no question about it.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, fewer radiators on costs less.

ReputationRep:

(Just to clarify)
    Yep

If you have a gas fire in any rooms then use that instead of the radiators, too, because the efficiency of burning gas directly for warmth is greater than burning gas to heat water, and thus you'll use less gas than if you turn all the radiators on. Electric fires are also cheap to run, especially since electricity should probably be costing you less at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    Try not to let the place get too cold in the first place, otherwise you're constantly trying to warm up a freezing cold building, using more gas, that's the mistake we made in our first year in our house.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeeC)
    1000 radiators are going to use more energy than 1 radiators, by extension, 2 radiators are going to use less energy than 8 radiators, so if you leave 3/4 of your radiators off, you use less energy. How the hell can they not realise this?!
    (Still remaining unbiased myself )

The opposing argument is as follows:

The same amount of energy is used to heat one radiator as it does to heat five. (Admittedly the time of which it takes to heat them fully would be different). If just one radiator was left on, then all the hot water would just go straight to that one instead of being evenly dispursed to the others.

Any opinions?

ReputationRep:
    (Still remaining unbiased myself )

The opposing argument is as follows:

The same amount of energy is used to heat one radiator as it does to heat five. (Admittedly the time of which it takes to heat them fully would be different). If just one radiator was left on, then all the hot water would just go straight to that one instead of being evenly dispursed to the others.

Any opinions?
    Opening radiator valves to turn them on decreases the pressure in the pipe network. The boiler consequently has to heat and pump more water to maintain a consistent flow of hot water through the network to all radiators as more valves are opened and the pressure is lowered. This is pretty basic stuff :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    There is the point that a central heating pump will run at the same flow rate no matter how many radiators are turned on.

However as the flow through fewer radiators will be faster, the energy dissipated will be reduced, and the temperature of the water returning to the system will be higher, resulting in less reheating.

So, on balance, it seems that having fewer radiators on will be cheaper

ReputationRep:
    Thank you everyone for your replies

ReputationRep:
    I wish more people were awesome like me and man enough to a) not feel the cold until it's actually cold and b) put more clothes on when they're cold, not waste money on bull**** heating.

It's still t shirt weather ffs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    I wish more people were awesome like me and man enough to a) not feel the cold until it's actually cold and b) put more clothes on when they're cold, not waste money on bull**** heating.

Were you the guy I saw the other day walking in the snow in shorts and a T-shirt? :nooo:

ReputationRep:

Four of my fingers are numb and I'm wearing gloves

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    Were you the guy I saw the other day walking in the snow in shorts and a T-shirt? :nooo:

No, but yes.

But no.

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone

turn off the radiators and wrap up in warm clothing = cheap!

ReputationRep:

LAD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    No that was probably me. I got some strange looks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.