Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter

    Hi all

    I really need some people’s views on this.

    I am currently within my 3rd year of a youth and community studies degree. ( BA hon ) which will also give me JNC. However i want to go into counselling and have found regents college in London that do a masters in counselling and psychotherapy. At the end of the course i will be accredited with UKCP counselling award body.

    My question is with all of this behind me will i be able to find a job ?
    I dream of 1 day starting my own practice but i figure that i will need experience first.. I want to do something i know i would enjoy but i need to know there is a job and money at the end of it.. I know it is hard to predict in these tough times. but for those that are doing this type of route into counselling now, are there jobs out there now ?

    i will need to do a 5 week summer conversion course and that costs £3000
    Then the masters degree is 12 grand. then you have to do therapy throughout so that is an extra cost... I have been told that as a therapist you can charge between £25 - £50 an hour but that is with experience and in your own practice.

    A concern of mine is that a possible place to work could be the NHS. But i have heard that the NHS only like to take people on who have had previous medical experience ( i..e someone who has gone through nurse training and changed into counselling etc )

    My uncle has suggested that the only real safe career is teaching and as my placement at the moment i am working in a special needs school but im pretty sure teaching is not for me. i honestly think i would be really good at counselling and talking therapies. i think if given the chance i could establish a really good practice or career out of it. but are there opportunities out there !!!

    Any info or real experiences people could provide would be so helpful.
    Thank you !!!
Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 3, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.