Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok, this is probably a very odd thread, however the subject has greatly intrigued me.

In parts of India, whole temples are dedicated to rats, where they are actually WORSHIPPED!

How can aybody worship, tend and take care of rats as well as sleep with them? Don't the people there get ill or something?

People around India flock to these temples and many bring children with them...

The temple shown in the video has over 20,000 rats living in it, of which 4 are sacred 'white' rats which people hope to find and touch in order to bring good fortune.

Source:http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...28_tvrats.html

This picture is not for the faint hearted:
    Spoiler:
    Show

This stuff just fascinates me. If I lived in that temple, I would probably have gone insane, thrown up 100 times and had a nervous break down....

ReputationRep:
    India probably has a temples for half of the animal kingdom.
    No Joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by planetearth)
    If I lived in that temple, I would probably have gone insane, thrown up 100 times and had a nervous break down....
    Are you an 8-year-old girl? No? Grow some balls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Man)
    India probably has a temple for half of temple for half of the animal kingdom.
    No Joke.
    yeahh, thing is with india is there are sooo many little villages and cultures (something like 500 dialects spoken throughout the country?), so somebody was bound to come up with something kooky like this eventually

possibly springing from a few incidents where a rat saved someone's life or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Einheri)
    Are you an 8-year-old girl? No? Grow some balls.
    Stop acting so tough, I don't think you could do much better mate.

ReputationRep:
    India related thread day?

ReputationRep:
    This stuff just fascinates me. If I lived in that temple, I would probably have gone insane, thrown up 100 times and had a nervous break down....
    Why would you live in a temple in first place also they're only rats...
    Also from an outsiders perspective most if not all beliefs sound ridiculous and illogical.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I've never understood why people hate rats so much and I really don't see the issue with them tbh, but this is a tad OTT. I've gotta be honest.

ReputationRep:
    What's wrong with rats? They make good pets.

ReputationRep:

^_____^

ReputationRep:
    Stop acting so tough, I don't think you could do much better mate.
    I've had several pet rats. There's nothing disgusting about them. A rat temple sounds cute, not disgusting - would you be revolted by a hamster temple? No, you wouldn't. It's a girlish, illogical fear.

ReputationRep:
    Makes more sense to worship something that we know to be real than some lulsy 'god'.

ReputationRep:
    Feral/wild rats are a bit different to pets. I find it slightly disturbing and it is an odd idea to me, but as the guy in the video says we worship all sorts of creatures etc so why should rats be any different!

I'm quite amused that they felt the need to subtitle the people speaking in perfectly fine English with an Indian accent, however.

ReputationRep:
    Religion is crazy!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. The English know what to do with rats...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_baiting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Verthandi)
    Feral/wild rats are a bit different to pets. I find it slightly disturbing and it is an odd idea to me, but as the guy in the video says we worship all sorts of creatures etc so why should rats be any different!

I'm quite amused that they felt the need to subtitle the people speaking in perfectly fine English with an Indian accent, however.
    They're not that different. They'll just be more skittish. I really hate it when people talk about rats as if they're disgusting, horrible creatures when they're the complete opposite.

ReputationRep:
    Woah... 40,000? Hard to imagine people can stand such great amounts...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Einheri)
    They're not that different. They'll just be more skittish. I really hate it when people talk about rats as if they're disgusting, horrible creatures when they're the complete opposite.
    I have nothing against rats (other than the ones that ate my chickens).
    Feral rats are more likely to be vicious and dirty, as with any feral animals. Those rats are probably better looked after than most, though!

ReputationRep:
    Fascinating. I absolutely loathe vermin, I guess it's different strokes for different folks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Verthandi)

That's America for you.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 3, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.