Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cheryl Cole could need subtitles on US TV shows Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s141/...les-in-us.html

harharharhar. Anyway I think it's a bit of an exaggeration... I'm sure it's for those Americans' that exaggerate on how they can't understand accents and are generally pretty ignorant, cos obviously Cheryl's accent isn't that thick, ok she uses a few geordie words and phrases, calls herself 'us' at times but anyone in the UK can understand her

People just need to be open to differences

ReputationRep:
    that's weird because I think it's a bit of an exaggeration... I'm sure it's for those Americans' that exaggerate on how they can't understand accents and are generally pretty ignorant, cos obviously Cheryl's accent isn't that thick, ok she uses a few geordie words and phrases, calls herself 'us' at times but anyone in the UK can understand her

ReputationRep:
    I showed a clip to an American friend and he said "I have no idea what she's saying but she's SERIOUSLY hot"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    [URL]

Listen to your own advice, it will be broadcast all over America and yes, she does have a strong accent that very few people in America will have heard before. When I first started watching The Wire I had to turn the subtitles on even though I am familiar with the accent, it just made it easier for me. Am I ignorant?

ReputationRep:
    She speaks rubbish anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Needs subtitles? She needs to stay off my damn tv!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LethalBizzle)
    Listen to your own advice, it will be broadcast all over America and yes, she does have a strong accent that very few people in America will have heard before. When I first started watching The Wire I had to turn the subtitles on even though I am familiar with the accent, it just made it easier for me. Am I ignorant?
    for the wire, really? Well ok. It really depends on the person, perhaps using ignorant in this context is a little off the mark. If some americans have never heard of geordies or people from north England, you can't blame them for that and that's not ignorance but subtitles still seem excessive

ReputationRep:
    You used subtitles... for an American accent?

ReputationRep:
    will.i.am seems to understand her fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bella Occhi)
    You used subtitles... for an American accent?
    Have you seen The Wire? The accents are very strong and the plots very complicated. I didn't need the subtitles, they just made sure I understood everything that was said.

ReputationRep:
    it would be really impractical and annoying to have subtitles especially on live tv as they will be slightly delayed to the actual live broadcast and that would be really frustrating for the viewers. I don't get why simon was so desperate to get her on the panel for US X factor anyway. most people in the US don't even know who she is and she doesn't have any genuine credibility as a judge. her comments on the contestants performances are always weak and lacking and she may come across as a bimbo. she is only popular here because of her looks, the fact that she was in girls aloud and that the working class can 'identify' with her due to her roots. what guarantees that the US audiences will identify with her too?

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't matter, whatever she says will be crap anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hali0112)
    it would be really impractical and annoying to have subtitles especially on live tv as they will be slightly delayed to the actual live broadcast and that would be really frustrating for the viewers. I don't get why simon was so desperate to get her on the panel for US X factor anyway. most people in the US don't even know who she is and she doesn't have any genuine credibility as a judge. her comments on the contestants performances are always weak and lacking and she may come across as a bimbo. she is only popular here because of her looks, the fact that she was in girls aloud and that the working class can 'identify' with her due to her roots. what guarantees that the US audiences will identify with her too?
    I totally agree. She's not a very good judge at all! Nicole Scherzinger should just have her place instead. Unless she's also on it as well? :hmmmm:

ReputationRep:
    Have you seen The Wire? The accents are very strong and the plots very complicated. I didn't need the subtitles, they just made sure I understood everything that was said.
    Oh

ReputationRep:
    silly slow yanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.