Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Virus protectors and maintainence software Watch

ReputationRep:
    ON my computer I have Ad-Aware, Malwarebytes, Microsoft Security Essentials, AusLogic Disk Defrag and CCleaner. Is ther anything I should get rid of or install?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCasual)
    ON my computer I have Ad-Aware, Malwarebytes, Microsoft Security Essentials, AusLogic Disk Defrag and CCleaner. Is ther anything I should get rid of or install?
    You should note that (unless you have the premium i.e. paid version of Ad-Aware/Malwarebytes) the only thing protecting your computer on the go is MSE. To see the benefit of Ad-Aware and Malwarebytes you need to either set up a scheduled scan and/or scan regularly.
    Having both AAW and MWB seems excessive, but won't be damaging.
    Auslogics is good, ccleaner is ok.
    What operating system do you have? Win vista/7 have a vastly improved 'Disk Cleanup' tool which you could use instead of ccleaner potentially.
    And how often do you run this lot?

ReputationRep:
    I have everything set up to scan at 6 o'clock on a Friday(not sure why) I'm using Vista

ReputationRep:
    So you got all that stuff and you don't have a Firewall??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCasual)
    I have everything set up to scan at 6 o'clock on a Friday(not sure why) I'm using Vista
    It's not a good idea to have defragmentation, ccleaner and scanners running at the same time. The ordering should probably be ccleaner -> defragmentation (disabling mse will boost performance) -> all three scanners.
    As you have vista, do run disk cleanup now and again to clear out your 'temp' folder (not sure if ccleaner does this or not...).

(Original post by silent ninja)
    So you got all that stuff and you don't have a Firewall??
    I admit to curiosity. Why do you think a firewall is needed?
    By no means am I denying they can be useful, but what has been said here that implies one is needed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrosson)
    I admit to curiosity. Why do you think a firewall is needed?
    By no means am I denying they can be useful, but what has been said here that implies one is needed?
    Well the OP did imply he wants protection and maintenance software...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    Well the OP did imply he wants protection and maintenance software...
    Yes, but you're not recommending an intrusion detection system are you?
    The roundabout point I'm trying to make is that
    1) The majority of people have routers with built in hardware firewalls.
    2) Windows has a firewall built in.
    Admittedly, neither of these are good for outgoing connections, but with a good antivirus it shouldn't have got on your computer in the first place (although probability where the virus is undetected and is a keylogger/password stealer/botnet client and actually manages to get on your computer is slim but possible).
    My personal opinion is that additional software firewalls (comodo, zonealarm) aren't worth the extra hassle they cause.
    But your suggestion fits the requirements of the OP, so (in retrospect) good post

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 4, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.