Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Q2. A serial dilution is performed in which 1cm3 of a solution containing 8.83 x 10^7 cells is diluted to 10cm3 (to give solution A), then 1cm3 of solution A is diluted to 10cm3 (to give solution B).

Q2.1. What is the overall dilution factor (between the original and final solution)?

1 in 10
    1 in 100
    1 in 1000
    1 in 10000
    1 in 100000

I know that the dilution factor is final solution/original solution.

for 1 in 10 would it be 10/1 = 10
    and then for 1 in 100 would it be 100/1 = 100

and so on...?

ReputationRep:
    Anybody?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I Have No Imagination)
    Q2. A serial dilution is performed in which 1cm3 of a solution containing 8.83 x 107 cells is diluted to 10cm3 (to give solution A), then 1cm3 of solution A is diluted to 10cm3 (to give solution B).

Q2.1. What is the overall dilution factor (between the original and final solution)?

1 in 10
    1 in 100
    1 in 1000
    1 in 10000
    1 in 100000

I know that the dilution factor is final solution/original solution.

for 1 in 10 would it be 10/1 = 10
    and then for 1 in 100 would it be 100/1 = 100

and so on...?
    Yes, 1 to 10 dilution followed be another 1 to 10 is the same as one 1 to 100 dilution

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    Yes, 1 to 10 dilution followed be another 1 to 10 is the same as one 1 to 100 dilution

Thank you. In relation to the same question how would I work out the concentration of cells per cm3 of solution A?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I Have No Imagination)
    Thank you. In relation to the same question how would I work out the concentration of cells per cm3 of solution A?
    If you think about it 1/10 of your solution A is your original solution so theoretically you would have 1/10 of your original concentration which is basically number of cells per cm3.

ReputationRep:
    OLOLOL "SERIAL" DILUTIONS is that where you put too much milk on your cornflakes?!?!?!1

LOLOLOsalowelqel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calian)
    If you think about it 1/10 of your solution A is your original solution so theoretically you would have 1/10 of your original concentration which is basically number of cells per cm3.
    Thanks a lot. I completely understand that now.

I have a few more questions that I'm finding rather difficult.

Q3. Three pour and spread dilutions were prepared and 3 plates were set up for each dilution. The resulting counts are shown in Table 1 below.

Table 1. Colony counts per plate of malt extract agar for a viable count of Saccharomyces cerevisiae using the pour plate technique incorporating an inoculum of 1cm3 per plate:

10^-4 10^-5 10^-6
    <30 45 >300
    <30 48 >300
    <30 39 >300

Q3.1. Calculate the mean number of colonies per plate obtained from the 10-5
    dilution.

I've got this as 44?

Q3.2. Calculate the mean number of colony forming units (cfu) per cm3 of the original culture.

No idea how to do this?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.