Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have one of my best friend's meals next friday and we're all dressing up. I have a lovely dress but the problem is i have to wear heels- i cannot walk in heels! To make it worse, the meal is a buffet so im going to have to walk with a plate arghhhhh dangerous haha.
    anyone got any tips so that i dont fall and humiliate myself? :')

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried wedges?

Tights can make walking in heels just so much worse.

ReputationRep:
    haha :L why do you have to wear heels? :O

ReputationRep:
    Don't go for a crazy heel hight, practise wearing them around the house before the night out.
    As someone else said, wearing tights will make it more difficult. Gross as it sounds, sweat from your feet give you grip for your shoes.
    Its all about practise, I'm comfy in 5in heels now after building my heel hight.

ReputationRep:
    Wear them round the house whenever you're at home - you'll start getting used to the feel of your feet in them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leahcarr)
    Have you tried wedges?

Tights can make walking in heels just so much worse.
    Slippery , discovered this the hard way lol.
    Those sticky gel things you put in heels can improve grip with tights though...
    and yeah practise, but not indoors, smooth floors delude you then you get out on rough uneven pavement and you're all over the place..

ReputationRep:
    I feel your pain, my good woman.
    Wedges were made for people like us.

ReputationRep:
    Small heels.
    Practise before hand.
    Heel-toe-heel-toe action, rather than just slumping about like you would in flats.
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you just wear flats, you don't need to wear heels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HEJ92)
    Why don't you just wear flats, you don't need to wear heels.
    I'm only 5ft 3 and everyone else will be wearing heels, plus i think it would ruin the dress

ReputationRep:
    You can wear flats and look chic, if you pick nice ones.
    Otherwise I would advice you to choose heels that are not that high and practice before going. Also invest in good quality shoes and don't pick super-thin stilettos. (I wouldn't go for wedges as I think it looks hideous, but if you like them, go ahead).

ReputationRep:
    Wedges!!

Edit: I just realised, if you write a comment in capital letters, tsr changes it :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SammyLeighh)
    I'm only 5ft 3 and everyone else will be wearing heels, plus i think it would ruin the dress
    Height is fine - you'll look really "cute" and petite

Plus if you have some really nice flats like: http://www.office.co.uk/womens/offic.../9169/24026/1/ the dress won't be ruined

If I were in your position I'd rather look shorter than everyone else and be comfortable and not look really silly tottering around in shoes I can't walk in.

ReputationRep:
    You can get some decent nice black wedges from Topshop, Office and New Look. I'm not keen on the cord, wood but the plain black ones that are more like shoe boots. They pretty much go with anything.

If you are 5ft 3 then you probably don't have big feet so they would be perfect.

Platform shoes (with a reasonable sized platform) are easier to walk in, for me anyway. But i'm 6ft and probably have bigger feet than you so that might just be me.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes standing up straight and holding your shoulders back a little can help with balance, as well as keeping your core strong...it does genuinely help a bit because if your centre of mass is directly above your feet (and, more importantly, those high heels) you're less likely to fall over.
    Failing that, find a nice guy and attach yourself to his arm for the evening so that you can use him as a support :P

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 3, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.