Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey im currently doing history at gcse level and i am having alot of trouble writing the essay question down on paper the question is "How did American society change between 1919-41"

i was wondering if anyone could read this and give me some tips on how to set out an essay and some help on just how to write it out ( yeah im really bad at history and english)

thanks for any relpys greatly appreciated any comment would help

ReputationRep:
    Well, first you'd pick apart the question.

Note down any significant changes in the society within the time range, and put them into categories on a sheet of paper or something under 'Good' and 'Bad'.

When you have the changes, you need evidence - (evidence is absolutely vital in History/English essays).

Then when you have those sorted, start writing your essay directly (don't bother with any sort of waffling introduction) for example: American society was subject to... (name good change) - (name evidence of good change) - repeat for the points you have (making sure you paragraph!)

Then for your 'bad' points. Start with a conjunction: i.e. however, on the contrary, (and then list your bad points with evidence).

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the reply, great advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by horribleathistory)
    thanks for the reply, great advice.
    Glad I could help.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.