Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What exactly are you supposed to include or not include in your CV regarding your age in the UK?
    I remember someone telling me you cannot write when you were born. What about if I finished high school one year ahead of time?

And just out of curiosity what is the point of not putting your age on your resume? In my country it's more or less compulsory.

ReputationRep:
    age discrimination

ReputationRep:
    That was what i imagined. Could you please answer my other question though? (I would like to write i finished high school one year ahead of time and that i spent that year in a foreing country, does this also fall underneath the age thing?)

And if this is the wrong section, I'm sorry, I used the search function but didn't find anything.

ReputationRep:
    Do not put your age in it. Name, address, contact details only. Now any normal person can make a good guess at age from certain things, and in your achievements put that you graduated a year early. Also a year abroad looks very good.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ametista616)
    That was what i imagined. Could you please answer my other question though? (I would like to write i finished high school one year ahead of time and that i spent that year in a foreing country, does this also fall underneath the age thing?)

And if this is the wrong section, I'm sorry, I used the search function but didn't find anything.
    There is a CV Help forum. If you go there and open your own thread it remains private and visible only to you and the CV advisers.

You would not usually mention that you finished school a year early, or if you did it would be mentioned briefly in the Education section. Your year abroad would be obvious if you gained relevant skills that you mention in the CV.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    There is a CV Help forum. If you go there and open your own thread it remains private and visible only to you and the CV advisers.

You would not usually mention that you finished school a year early, or if you did it would be mentioned briefly in the Education section. Your year abroad would be obvious if you gained relevant skills that you mention in the CV.
    Possible place is achievements. My CV has been developed over a few years and it does break some of the golden rules. One is that it is now 3 pages not 2. However, this is calculated and agreed by people that see it that it works with the content.

CVs have rules, but the rules have caveats, if you can justify breaking them it can look very good. Get it wrong and you make a huge mistake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markrush)
    Possible place is achievements. My CV has been developed over a few years and it does break some of the golden rules. One is that it is now 3 pages not 2. However, this is calculated and agreed by people that see it that it works with the content.

CVs have rules, but the rules have caveats, if you can justify breaking them it can look very good. Get it wrong and you make a huge mistake.
    For IB 1 page is better. Thats what a senior person in HR at an IB and a fund-of-funds manager have told me.

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to put your age but it's not exactly hard for employees to get a rough idea from looking at the dates of your education

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwerty12345678)
    For IB 1 page is better. Thats what a senior person in HR at an IB and a fund-of-funds manager have told me.
    This is why it is personal preference. My IB CV got me the job pretty much before the interview and the fact that my CV somehow made it to a hedge fund got me head hunted.

ReputationRep:
    This is why it is personal preference. My IB CV got me the job pretty much before the interview and the fact that my CV somehow made it to a hedge fund got me head hunted.
    Oh not disagreeing with your CV, but for more general advice I'd say aim for 1 page. For some people its not really plausible.

ReputationRep:
    Oh not disagreeing with your CV, but for more general advice I'd say aim for 1 page. For some people its not really plausible.
    Glad we agree that every situation is different. Out of interest are you appkying to the world of IB?

ReputationRep:
    Glad we agree that every situation is different. Out of interest are you appkying to the world of IB?
    Yes, but unfortunately I applied pretty late, so not too optimistic. Also most my financial services work experience took place after all my applications, and is continuing for the next couple of months, and the BB banks wont allow application updates after the application deadline which is really annoying!

I'm also applying to asset management roles, as I eventually want to end up on the buy side anyway (HF or possibly PE). I'd actually prefer a role in AM as although pay will start off worse I think it will help get me where I want to be faster.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but unfortunately I applied pretty late, so not too optimistic. Also most my financial services work experience took place after all my applications, and is continuing for the next couple of months, and the BB banks wont allow application updates after the application deadline which is really annoying!

I'm also applying to asset management roles, as I eventually want to end up on the buy side anyway (HF or possibly PE). I'd actually prefer a role in AM as although pay will start off worse I think it will help get me where I want to be faster.
    Tbh the initial omg get the right placement scramble is not the be and end all. Once you are in on virtually any role prove yourself and you will fly.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh the initial omg get the right placement scramble is not the be and end all. Once you are in on virtually any role prove yourself and you will fly.
    Yeah I agree. If you're good you're good, you'll progress. If you're rubbish and you land a role at GS or the like, you wont progress.

If I dont make any good grad schemes this year, I'm going to start looking at boutique IB's too, maybe even look at staying where I'm interning now (small IB) for 6 months or so.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.