Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do all the kids these days omit "to"? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Now I'm not usually ever some sort of grammar Nazi and certainly not a linguistic prescriptivist, but have people always said things like I'm going shop or come train station tonight or I've never been Scotland?

It annoys me a bit.

ReputationRep:
    I've never heard anyone saying that.

ReputationRep:
    me neither

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arekkusu)
    Now I'm not usually ever some sort of grammar Nazi and certainly not a linguistic prescriptivist, but have people always said things like I'm going shop or come train station tonight or I've never been Scotland?

It annoys me a bit.
    I think it's a regional thing.

ReputationRep:
    Never heard that, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Where do you live? I've never heard anybody talk like that.

ReputationRep:
    Must be a London thing, 'cause I hear this so much, I probably couldn't tell the difference anymore Lol.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it must be a northern thing cos everyone says it around here not just kids.

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest, where do all you people who have never heard this live?

ReputationRep:
    only seems to be the stupid people that do it

ReputationRep:

It annoys me a bit.
    I am a grammar nazi. When I hear things like this, a part of me dies inside

ReputationRep:
    I say things like that and I grew up here in Milton Keynes which isn't that far from London really - perhaps it's a (fairly large) regional thing.

Why? I don't know. It's just how I say things. "You coming shops?" sounds more... natural, in the quick flow of speech, than "Are you going to come to the shops with me?"

ReputationRep:

It annoys me a bit.
    Yes, I've heard this. I'm not sure of its derivation, but it rather sounds like the Northern habit of omitting the word 'the' and substituting it with 't'. "Come t' train station."

So I wouldn't have thought of it as new, rather, an evolution of an already existing linguistic 'tradition'.

ReputationRep:
    Most people i know say this, including me. Saves my breath.

My question is, why do published books omit 'that' from sentences? This truly pisses me off, they are supposed to be professional.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't heard or seen anyone speak or write like that before.

ReputationRep:
    I hear it all the time. It's just one of those things. And it's not just "kids"

ReputationRep:
    Yes it's unbelievably annoying.

ReputationRep:
    I've never heard that before- the nearest I know of is missing out "the" when preceded by "to", as in "I'm goin' t' ______", which I am incredibly guilty of....

ReputationRep:
    I do that. Eg, You coming the library tonight?

Tbh it might be a regional thing. It seems to be the norm where I come from

ReputationRep:
    No one says that.

What annoys me more is everyone saying 'actually' these days. Like, 'I actually can't wait' or 'That was actually immense'. Just gets on my nerves so much. Lots of other trends too, like saying something's 'highly amusing' amongst others.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 5, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.