Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Worrying over my elidgability (in terms of entry requirements at GCSE level) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello TSR!

I have been worrying quite a lot about my chances of entering Higher education for the past two weeks. Since, I went to the Manchester H.E Universities fair last week I feel stressed and I am pushing myself to do well in my N.D for the rest of the course. Going to the fair made me realize that in fact, there are lots of people that work probably twice as hard as me in preparation for University. Yet, I thought I was doing well, it kind of put me in my place so to speak.

The main worry for me is the fact that, I got poor GCSE results like: E's, F's. I got one D in Graphic Products and that was it. Plus, I only possess Key Skills (now functional skills) Level 1 certificates. Whilst in the first year my class did Communications Level 2 last year. However I didn't attend these lessons because, apparently according to my college's policy if your over 19 you aren't inclined to study Functional Skills alongside your course if you do not wish. And so, for this reason, and the fact that I was resitting my GCSE English I thought it was pointless. Because it would be like doing English twice over, although the tutors thought differently.

Anyways, the point is, I only have Level 1 Key Skills and no C's in my GCSE's but I think I will be getting Distinctions and Merits in my National Diploma. Do I stand in good stead to get an offer? As I can see most institutions turning their noses up at me.

This is also the reason why, whenever I look at prospectuses I only tend to consider the University if they mention only the N.D as requirements and not GCSE's. I am forced to aim lower than my expectations wish, due to my stupidity in not attaining the correct grades earlier in life.

Anyone got any constructive advice for me (not patronization), obviously the correct answer would be for me to take my Key Skills and retake my GCSE Maths again, however I want to apply this year, but I fear not been accepted.

Thanks for reading.

ReputationRep:
    I think it will depend on how much competition there is for places at unis you apply to.
    There's no point in panicking and then rushing to retake or take exams you're not prepared for,neglecting your main course. There's also no point in worrying about what you should have done in the past because you can't go back and change that now.
    Research unis and make sure that you will have their minimum required qualifications ; make sure you get those. Personally, I wouldn't bother with Key Skills now. If you've got a reasonable chance of passing GCSE Maths go for it - but do you want it to be a condition of getting onto a course?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply, quite reassuring. I'm just worried that I will get rejected from all places I will be appyling for plus, I think that upon going on here and looking, many people have already sent off their UCAS applications, I haven't even finished my online form yet. Thanks for your advice, much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by royal1990)
    Thanks for the reply, quite reassuring. I'm just worried that I will get rejected from all places I will be appyling for plus, I think that upon going on here and looking, many people have already sent off their UCAS applications, I haven't even finished my online form yet. Thanks for your advice, much appreciated.
    You will most likely need a level 2 qualification in Maths & English- either the GCSE at a C grade or key skills level 2. if in doubt email the unis you've applied to explaining your situation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by royal1990)

It doesn't matter as long as you get the application in before January 15th when Uni's have to look at your application.

I would phone/email the different Uni's and ask about their GCSE policy. But you did the right thing resitting your Maths and English. I know someone that completely forgot she needed a C in Maths and just about managed to get onto the GCSE Maths course before applying for UCAS later that year.

I wouldn't trust Uni's that just put about the National Diploma and didn't mention GCSEs. They still might have a standard they want but failed to mention it in the prospectus but mention it on their website.

Functional Skill qualifications are pointless, especially at Level 1. Many Uni's 'encourage' the qualification at Level 3 but don't actually include it in their offer. I think even at Level 3 it is only worth 20 UCAS points. GCSE English is far more important.

Also would you be over 21? Because then you may count as a mature student which could make things easier for you.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 4, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.