Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it okay to date a younger guy? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was just curious.

Is it okay if a girl goes out with a guy who is a year younger then them?

ReputationRep:
    As long as he is of legal age.

People not in relationships always have things to say about those that are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayB124)
    As long as he is of legal age.

People not in relationships always have things to say about those that are.

So it's okay if a girl is 18 and goes out with a 17 year old guy?

Or if she's 17 and he's 16?

... And what would people say?
    ... Is it seen as something wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HelpMeI)
    So it's okay if a girl is 18 and goes out with a 17 year old guy?

Or if she's 17 and he's 16?

... And what would people say?
    ... Is it seen as something wrong?
    Its fine, there is no problem about it.

There is just a usual stigma, or whatever you wanna call it, that it is weird for girlsto be the older one in the relationship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    Its fine, there is no problem about it.

There is just a usual stigma, or whatever you wanna call it, that it is weird for girlsto be the older one in the relationship.

Because recently my friend she is 18 and she is going out with a 17 year old guy and I think they really suit each other.

But people behind her back are saying that it's 'weird' that she is older and so on.

But I don't agree with them.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's fine if it's a year I mean, like, 16 and 17 or 17 and 18 wouldn't exactly be anything odd...you'd both be in sixth form/college so I don't see the problem. I'm in upper sixth, currently have a crush on a guy in lower sixth and me and my friends see no problem with this

ReputationRep:
    People think its more socially acceptable for the boy to be older. But I don't think it matters as long as they are both legal and happy.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, of course.

ReputationRep:
    Because recently my friend she is 18 and she is going out with a 17 year old guy and I think they really suit each other.

But people behind her back are saying that it's 'weird' that she is older and so on.

they are just jealous...it is perfectly fine..........

ReputationRep:
    Who gives a flying font what other people think!?

If I liked someone younger, the only issue I'd have would be the possibility of a lack of maturity.

You should never not go out with someone based on what other people think or say about the person you like. It shouldn't matter at all what other people think.

ReputationRep:
    Oh LoL, thats cool then.

I was just curious in what other people thought.

ReputationRep:

Annoying people like that always want to find something bad to say about others. You and your friends should just ignore them, cos if she's happy with this guy, then that's all really that matters. There are plenty of couples where the woman is significantly older than the guy, so a year is nothing in comparison really.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 3, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.