Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Public displays of affection. Yay or Nay? Watch

ReputationRep:
    What are your thoughts on people who kiss in pubs or clubs/on the street etc? Personally, I don't see anything wrong with it. My boyfriend says it makes him uncomfortable. I can't help feeling like he's a bit ashamed of me to be honest!

Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Scum. It's not something a singleton likes to see.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt he is ashamed of you.
    Nay, PDA makes me feel very awkward. Then again I'm not great when anyone is overly anything; I tend to just ignore people if they are crying as it would be nicer than trying to talk them as I would unintentionally make them feel worse.

ReputationRep:
    Not a fan personally, and I'm a girl

ReputationRep:
    My bf said it makes him feel awkward but tbh I think I dislike it more than him - he will kiss me in clubs etc I guess because it seems less 'public' than some places - people can just ignore us. I'm not even keen on that though :no:

ReputationRep:
    Just don't do it in front of me in the cinema.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who has a problem with it is usually an emotional repressed prude. There's no harm in it whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    i blame labour

ReputationRep:

Hell to the Yay

ReputationRep:
    Its ok as long as it's not full on e.g. feeling up your girlfriend on a packed Piccadilly train :/

ReputationRep:
    Not really a fan, I find it awkward. I'm generally a private person.

ReputationRep:
    One couple always like getting cuddly in the computer room at school. I can hear tongues smacking together. I swear it's like some people likes to get maximum sound out of kissing when they know they're in public.
    So no, not a great fan.

ReputationRep:
    Yay, but not all up in man'z George Foreman. Allow that.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not against it, but I'm not comfortable with doing it myself.

ReputationRep:
    Casually walking down the street with your mother and encountering a couple getting off with each other = AWKWARD.

ReputationRep:
    Its fine if they're just holding each other the occasional peck maybe.
    But anything more than that is gross.

ReputationRep:
    Clubs are different - usually alcohol involved and no-one really notices too much. Or they notice but don't care.

What irritates me (and yes Im going to sound like a bitter single person, because that's EXACTLY what i am thank you VERY much) is when people walk around with one hand round the other's waist. I've done this once and it's a very impractical and awkward method of walking, with the only purpose being to show off to people that you've found "love" i.e. someone who's willing to put up with you AND sleep with you on a regular basis.

I get it. You're in a relationship. Now leave me alone with my Quality Street. You may have found love and happiness but I have chocolate.

ReputationRep:
    me and my boyfriend will happily hold hands etc in public, but the most we would do is a simple kiss on the lips. anything beyond that i feel is an intimate moment between us, so i would prefer to share it with my boyfriend, and not my boyfriend + anyone else who happens to be walking around at the time.

ReputationRep:
    My partner and I both feel really awkward about PDA - but for me that's only because I've been brought up to think that homosexuality is a no-no and we're both raging lesbians. Haha!

With any couple I think that behind closed doors it's fine, of course, but the whole world doesn't need to see it, when they may not want to.

ReputationRep:
    Nay.

It's pretty awkard.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 4, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.