Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for the title, couldn't think of a phrase to describe it...

I'll be honest, I'm from the South West, and have NEVER been north, or far north! To put that into perspective, the furthest I have been north is Swindon...

Are the vast majority of students "Northerners", or are there many that come from the south of the country?

Finally a weird question - do Southerners accents stick out like a sore thumb? In Somerset everyone has the same accent, so nobody notices.

I'm just intrigued at how many people travel to go to Hull, nothing against the locals with this question.

ReputationRep:
    A southern accent in yorkshire will stick out yes, however you will undoubtedly not be the only southerner there, as from where people come from who go there I have no idea.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm from the South East. Southerners are certainly outnumbered by Northerners but we are about. Your accent will probably be noticeable but hopefully it will just add to your charm!

ReputationRep:
    I'm from near newcastle and I work with someone from London who is at the University.
    I stick out a lot more than him with my accent.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    In my friend group, it's literally 50/50 with Northerners and Southerners and it's fine!
    Great fun actually as especially the one from near Landahn (she emphasises her accent to make us giggle like this all the time) is always teaching us new slang. Meanwhile we're teaching her about the values of pie in a tin and the dropping of all H's and The's :P
    No one really cares, at least not until you know each other enough to take the piss in a purely friendly way :P

ReputationRep:
    There are plenty of Southerners here, but the Northerners do like to take the mick. If anything, it's made for really good banter and it's nice to meet people with different accents..you discover all kinds of different words for things. Don't sweat it.

ReputationRep:
    It's grim up north

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.