The Student Room Group

How hard is it to get a 2:1?

Scroll to see replies

I got a 1st..without actually trying to get a 1st! I went to uni wanting to come out with a 2.1, but found that by the second year my lowest grade was a mid 2.1, but the vast majority were mid 1st class.

I attended every lecture, and read every book that I could get my hands on (I <3 Amazon!) and it was as easy as that!
Original post by Nichrome
www.unistats.com
Seriously, you have to be ****ing retarded not to get a 2.1 in an arts subject.

You are joking..?
Seriously, I thought that before I came to university- Did really well the whole way through school, 4 A's in my A-levels, etc.
I'm in my third year at UCL doing History of Art, and I've found it to be bloody hard work the whole way through. I probably have a proper night out once every month to two months, half of the week I'm up doing essays/presentations/reading at 3 am, and balancing uni work with my part time job and spending time with my boyfriend. I've got a 2:1 for my overall grade for years 1 and 2 so far, but they were fairly low 2:1's, and I had to work my ass off. I've had a few dodgy essay and exam grades, I'm just praying that I will get a 2:1 at the end of this year and that the work I'm putting in will pay off.
I can definitely see how people come out of uni with 2:2's.
Reply 82
Original post by ~Amy-Eliza~
You are joking..?
Seriously, I thought that before I came to university- Did really well the whole way through school, 4 A's in my A-levels, etc.
I'm in my third year at UCL doing History of Art, and I've found it to be bloody hard work the whole way through. I probably have a proper night out once every month to two months, half of the week I'm up doing essays/presentations/reading at 3 am, and balancing uni work with my part time job and spending time with my boyfriend. I've got a 2:1 for my overall grade for years 1 and 2 so far, but they were fairly low 2:1's, and I had to work my ass off. I've had a few dodgy essay and exam grades, I'm just praying that I will get a 2:1 at the end of this year and that the work I'm putting in will pay off.
I can definitely see how people come out of uni with 2:2's.

Guess you should've done just straight History then, as that has a 94% 2.1+ attainment at UCL. Arts subjects are marked on a relatively narrow marking scheme, from about 55-75, hence the lower rate of firsts, but the insane amount of 2.1s. I guess you're doing something pretty wrong if you're working that hard and you've been getting low 2.1s.
Original post by Nichrome
Guess you should've done just straight History then, as that has a 94% 2.1+ attainment at UCL. Arts subjects are marked on a relatively narrow marking scheme, from about 55-75, hence the lower rate of firsts, but the insane amount of 2.1s. I guess you're doing something pretty wrong if you're working that hard and you've been getting low 2.1s.

But I didn't want to do History...
I don't really care about getting a high 2:1 or a first tbh, as long as I get a 2:1 overall at the end of my course. I don't want to do post-grad, I've been applying for graduate schemes instead.
I've been told by my lecturers that I am on track for a 2:1, it just worries me that I might not. However, I convinced myself before A level results that I was going to get BCC or something.
I love my degree, I don't think I'm doing anything wrong in particular, I participate in seminars and don't struggle with what I'm learning, it's just the sheer amount of work that we get given. Most people are getting similar marks to me, with the exception of a few extremely intellectual people who are on track for a first.
Reply 84
Original post by HistoryRepeating
Its incredibly easy to get a 2:1 provided you are willing to go to lectures and do the work set

Agree with this, like everything in life, if you're willing put in the work, you'll reep the rewards.

Don't worry about where you fall within the 2:1 range, at the end of the day, chances are when you're at an interview you'll never be asked where you fell in the 2:1 range, you're degree will still say Second Class Division One.
What about a degree in primary education?
Original post by HistoryRepeating
Its incredibly easy to get a 2:1 provided you are willing to go to lectures and do the work set

I think that the thing some people forget is how easy it is to up their marks if they give themselves time to proof-read assignments properly. Finish them 3 days before the hand-in day, put them away for 24 hours then look at them again with fresh eyes. You can really improve them like that. I know. Once I realised that I should do this I raised my grades from the top 50s to 60s and above.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by ollienbert
I think that the thing some people forget is how easy it is to up their marks if they give themselves time to proof-read assignments properly. Finish them 3 days before the hand-in day, put them away for 24 hours then look at them again with fresh eyes. You can really improve them like that. I know. Once I realised that I should do this I raised my grades from the top 50s to 60s and above.

Oh flip, I cannot stop editing, I have even just re read my own post and edited it. :colondollar:
Reply 88
Didn't think my thread would get this big! Thanks for the answers, some good advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending