please keep anon

its not as good as i thought it would be
    im on my own alot
    i do have some friends however
    but not many
    i just want the holidays to come now
    and am desperately hoping that things will get better after Christmas
    has anyone experienced this?
    such a common situation. i was like this last year. but i got used it and just relaxed...i find that if you stop caring as much/thinking about it then friends will just come to you lol. in 2nd year its easier cos everyones way more relaxed and willing to talk to whoever.

ReputationRep:
    It's probably not bad, you just overhyped it.

ReputationRep:
    Seems like everyone on TSR has had this problem, by the amount of posts there are.

ReputationRep:
    Join a Uni club or group, look around for events and social groups, Get a new hobby or something.
    Just because your own a lot doesnt mean you have to keep being on your own.

(Original post by kooboo71)
    such a common situation. i was like this last year. but i got used it and just relaxed...i find that if you stop caring as much/thinking about it then friends will just come to you lol. in 2nd year its easier cos everyones way more relaxed and willing to talk to whoever.
    thanks
    that's encouraging to hear
    but did you put effort into changing your situation or would you say it was something that came naturally?

(Original post by Bubbles0ox)
    Seems like everyone on TSR has had this problem, by the amount of posts there are.
    I guess i did in the sense that i expected to make life long friends almost immediately
    ..suxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    thanks
    that's encouraging to hear
    but did you put effort into changing your situation or would you say it was something that came naturally?
    i personally didnt put effort into it in the end cos i became happy with just having my one close friend and a few randomers that i would talk to from time to time. i wasnt bothered with having a group or whatevr. but if you are, then i would recommend initiating convos with people and being generally very friendly - but as i said before dont think about it too much, like dont put it at the top of your priorities. even if you are alone for a lot of the time, who cares? its not life or death is it.
    uni is so overrated (in terms of social life), its not always one big party...and you know what that's ok!

ReputationRep:
    Completely normal situation! It's a new experience for everyone! My cousin is in her first year at Swansea, and she felt really lonely, with low self confidence, and like she hardly knew anyone. She went home for christmas, and when she came back it was different. Everyone had settled in properly, and got to grips with life away from home etc. Give it time, and I'm sure it will improve

Thanks so much for the replies
    i really appreciate them

I guess i did in the sense that i expected to make life long friends almost immediately
    ..suxx
    me too!!!!!!!everyone kept telling me that uni life are gonna be the best years of your life.but i don't see it!!!!!and i've never had any trouble making friends so i don't know why this is taking so long:confused:term is almost coming to an end and yet no such luck of finding a group that i'm genuinely comfortable with (as in college).

me too!!!!!!!everyone kept telling me that uni life are gonna be the best years of your life.but i don't see it!!!!!and i've never had any trouble making friends so i don't know why this is taking so long:confused:term is almost coming to an end and yet no such luck of finding a group that i'm genuinely comfortable with (as in college).
    exactly my situation
    you're not alone on that one
    im trying to keep positive now and just hope for the best after Christmas

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 4, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.