Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How important is it to not compare yourself with others? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Because I have been a lot recently and I'm trying to stop; I've been comparing myself to people in terms of academic achievement, occupation and wealth.

I require assistance.

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Very.

ReputationRep:
    Post on this *****es.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoshniDiya)
    Very.
    Bravo.

ReputationRep:
    Everything is relative. You will mean a lot less in Britain than in India if you compare yourself to others around you. Otherwise if you don't, you will be brought down to the level of the slum dogs in India.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkSonic_2009)
    Post on this *****es.

OK.

ReputationRep:
    Hello?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    OK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    Everything is relative. You will mean a lot less in Britain than in India if you compare yourself to others around you. Otherwise if you don't, you will be brought down to the level of the slum dogs in India.
    I'm sorry, what?

ReputationRep:
    Compare your looks. It's more fun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben77mc)
    Compare your looks. It's more fun
    Crazy Fool! lol

ReputationRep:
    If your self esteem is derived from possessions/achievements/position or how you are perceived by others you will not be happy for long as these are all transient.

ReputationRep:
    OK, seriously I wish someone would post something that is actually RELEVENT to what i'm asking..

*Spoke too soon, thank you INTit*

ReputationRep:
    Ok... one should be happy and grateful for what they have, which will never be achieved with constant comparison to others. I question, though, what will make up strive higher and achieve more if we don't compare ourselves to others sometimes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoshniDiya)
    Ok... one should be happy and grateful for what they have, which will never be achieved with constant comparison to others. I question, though, what will make up strive higher and achieve more if we don't compare ourselves to others sometimes?
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    In your own head it can be a good thing if it helps motivate you to better yourself, or it can be a bad thing if it causes you to think catastrophically and demotivates you.

Going around saying "I'm better than you cos my watch is worth more than your car" - that's just never good.

ReputationRep:
    Very important. Feels degrading when I do. For some people it will just make them big headed.

ReputationRep:
    It's great for consumerism - keeping up with the Jones' and all that. Credit card debts, mortgaged to the hilt, misery, jealousy etc all because of ones insecurities.

ReputationRep:
    Watching other successful and talented people are a great motivator for self improvement. But try not to get too wound up about it, because envy is probably the ugliest emotion there is. Never get angry or bitter, just try and think objectively "Hmmm is there something that person is doing that I could try?"

ReputationRep:
    I read some where that there are always people worse off or better off then you, so just accept it as a fact of life. Also, surely life is too short to waste on comparing yourself to other people who neither know nor care?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.