Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Whats the nicest thing you have ever done for a stranger? Watch

ReputationRep:
    given the success of the other thread i thought i would make a flipside to see what the nice folk of TSR have done for complete strangers

a couple months ago I saw 3 what must have been 13/14 year olds trying to steal this guys phone (he looked about 10) so I walked up to them, i stared at the guy who seemed to be the leader, and just said gimme your phone.... now. he handed it over. i then gave it back to him and said, its not a nice feeling is it, so leave him alone, and walked off with the guy they were trying to mug.

ReputationRep:
    I'm always doing nice things for other people. And I don't really like to boast about it. :smug:

ReputationRep:
    Not kill them.

ReputationRep:
    :erm:

Gave a tramp some money. :hmmmm2:

ReputationRep:
    i saw on old woman struggling to pull her suitcase through the thick slush near a metro station so i offered to carry it for her for a bit, she even offered to give me a tenner for my trouble but i refused because she prob needs it more than me

ReputationRep:
    I like to smile at random passers by, I like to think it makes their day just a tiny bit more bearable

ReputationRep:
    hmm trying to think back through my entire life is pretty hard....

Nothing stands out to be honest, I bought someone who couldn't really afford a drink and food a cup of tea but then they were a friend.

Oh last Christmas a friend was quite upset because she'd been asked to write a list of a few things she wanted but it ended up being ignored and she got things she really didn't want. I knew of a few books she'd wanted and so bought her four of them to cheer her up a bit. I imagine some will say it's a bit selfish to expect certain gifts so she has no right to be upset, we'll agree to disagree in this case.

ReputationRep:
    I went to hell and back.

ReputationRep:
    Paid their bus fare.

It was a kid, about eight, who apparently had an argument with his older brother and his (brother's) friends, and they'd left him stranded with no money and no way of getting home. The bus driver he was pleading with is the most miserable ******* I know, and I knew the kid was going to get nowhere ... so I just handed him the money and said, "There - fare's paid, doesn't matter to you who paid it."

Turns out he got off at my stop and lived a few streets away, so I walked him home as well (it was dark, and he seemed uncomfortable.) Getting closer to his house, you could hear what I presume are his parents screaming at his brother, "You left your brother stranded in Cambridge!?" :lol:

ReputationRep:
    A guy in Prague asked me for a fag so I gave him my 20 pack of marlboro (I had only bought it cos they didn't have B&H).

ReputationRep:
    I purchased one nasty ass kebab, because it was way too thick. Some old homeless guy came and sat next to me and was just looking down at the kebab, then up at me, then back at the kebab. I was just staring forward. After about 3 bites i knew i couldn't eat it so i turned to him and offered it to him. He said, in a super sad voice, 'Thanks son'.

It upset me tbh.

ReputationRep:
    I did a lot of good stuff to people actually. It's endless, but the major ones i've done was i donated some old clothes/canned goods to charities.
    I did helped out some homeless people and gave them foods too. (i'd rather give them foods instead of money)
    Also, i helped out some of my patients too. :mmm: Like when one of my patient didn't want to eat anything, he hasn't eaten anything for like 2 days already. So what i did was, i asked his mother if what is his favorite food and the next day i brought it too work, but i have to hide it or else my i'll get a write up from my DON. It feels nice to see him eating for the first time.

ReputationRep:
    rolled a cigarette for a stranger, then declined his offer of money.

ReputationRep:
    Perform CPR

I just remembered another nice thing. I lost my phone in Exeter, and a cab driver went to great lengths to try and get the phone back to me. :adore:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by TuckingFypo™)
      I just remembered another nice thing. I lost my phone in Exeter, and a cab driver went to great lengths to try and get the phone back to me. :adore:
      one problem...this thread is probably not the one you think it is..as this one is about the nicest thing YOU have done, not what a stranger has done for you as was the case in the other thread.

I demand two examples if your own kindness to make up for this mistake!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by charcharchar)
      I like to smile at random passers by, I like to think it makes their day just a tiny bit more bearable
      This is very true. I do this all the time and they do seem to smile back, even if it is only a tentative flicker of a smile. That makes my day too

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by TheSownRose)
      Paid their bus fare.

It was a kid, about eight, who apparently had an argument with his older brother and his (brother's) friends, and they'd left him stranded with no money and no way of getting home. The bus driver he was pleading with is the most miserable ******* I know, and I knew the kid was going to get nowhere ... so I just handed him the money and said, "There - fare's paid, doesn't matter to you who paid it."

Turns out he got off at my stop and lived a few streets away, so I walked him home as well (it was dark, and he seemed uncomfortable.) Getting closer to his house, you could hear what I presume are his parents screaming at his brother, "You left your brother stranded in Cambridge!?" :lol:
      The world needs more people like you :hugs: Did anything happen after that?

(Original post by joey11223)
        one problem...this thread is probably not the one you think it is..as this one is about the nicest thing YOU have done, not what a stranger has done for you as was the case in the other thread.

I demand two examples if your own kindness to make up for this mistake!
        I once handed a phone into lost property back in college, and the girl who owned it tracked me down to say thanks.

I've also given someone my coat because she was cold, which resulted in me being freezing all night. :cry2:

:ahee:

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by robodude789)
        given the success of the other thread i thought i would make a flipside to see what the nice folk of TSR have done for complete strangers

a couple months ago I saw 3 what must have been 13/14 year olds trying to steal this guys phone (he looked about 10) so I walked up to them, i stared at the guy who seemed to be the leader, and just said gimme your phone.... now. he handed it over. i then gave it back to him and said, its not a nice feeling is it, so leave him alone, and walked off with the guy they were trying to mug.
        Good actions, do them and keep them for yourself. Stop being so phonily fakes. Seems like TSR users do good things to be able to talk about themselves as altruist persons. Selfish!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
      Useful resources
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.