Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Wildfire or should I just wait it out? Advice please. Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I'm absolutely sick of my 5800XM and I've ruled out getting a contract till I go to uni hopefully next September.

Do you guys think that it would be worthwhile getting the HTC wildfire till then? How much of a deal breaker is the screen resolution to you guys? Let's say on a scale of 1-10 how much better is it than the 5800XM, note that I have got SPB Shell on the handset which does make it bearable to some extent.

Are there any other options around that price range?

Any advise would be much appreciated. Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    Alternatives to the Wildfire:

Motorola Defy
    Orange San Francisco
    (soon) HTC Gratia

There are more, it depends what you want the phone to do.
    There are lots of Wildfire threads in this subforum. Check them out.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the resolution is a dealbreaker at all... Well designed Android widgets/apps render the issue of resolution fairly irrelevant, and the browser's zoom function is excellent; like iOS you pinch to zoom, but it makes text columns fit the width of the screen so you're not endlessly scrolling from left to right.

ReputationRep:
    Take a look at the Oranage San Francisco. You can also unlock it for free.

ReputationRep:
    Wow that's strange, I literally got the wildfire only yesterday. To be honest, unless you are a real technology nerd, the resolution is fine. I mean you can very easily zoom in and out to see slightly smaller text. Also, before I bought it, I had been told that it wouldn't stream videos very well. The few I've watched on youtube have been absolutely fine.

If you want to have a look at the resolution for yourself, just ask in a store. Thats what I did and they have ones in the back you can have a look at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachelll=))
    Wow that's strange, I literally got the wildfire only yesterday. To be honest, unless you are a real technology nerd, the resolution is fine. I mean you can very easily zoom in and out to see slightly smaller text. Also, before I bought it, I had been told that it wouldn't stream videos very well. The few I've watched on youtube have been absolutely fine.

If you want to have a look at the resolution for yourself, just ask in a store. Thats what I did and they have ones in the back you can have a look at.
    I think the resolution is totally fine, but stick it next to the Orange SF and it looks very average. The AMOLED screen blows it away (5 times the screen resolution) and it's cheaper! Budget smartphones are really upping their game.

ReputationRep:
    Buy anything from HTC, I love the Android software on it and they HTC sense is amazing.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot for the advice guys! you have been reppd. I think ima give my 5800 an extended lifetime till after the holidays then see what i can pick up! cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedGuy)
    Take a look at the Oranage San Francisco. You can also unlock it for free.
    Yeah that is defo the one I want to get atm, how can you unlock it for free?!

ReputationRep:
    HTC Wildfire is one amazing phone, and so cheap for what it is!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ksahnan)
    Yeah that is defo the one I want to get atm, how can you unlock it for free?!
    http://android.modaco.com/content/zt...and-zte-blade/

Works instantly.

ReputationRep:
    Had the 5800XM, gone to a San Francisco, my flatmate has the Wildfire. Both absolutely amazing. Software experience better on the SF but the build quality is better on a Wildfire.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1christopher)
    Had the 5800XM, gone to a San Francisco, my flatmate has the Wildfire. Both absolutely amazing. Software experience better on the SF but the build quality is better on a Wildfire.
    I agree. The Wildfire has better build quality by far, but the San Francisco is acceptable.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, but I just heard that they've stopped making the SF with the AMOLED screen???

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, but I just heard that they've stopped making the SF with the AMOLED screen???
    Yes they have. All new models have TFT screen, which to be honest will make most people happy anyway. The deeper blacks on AMOLED are awesome though.

There is still old stock around. I think Play.com sell the original grey one with AMOLED but it's at full price £110. Imo that price is a bargain anyway and I don't get why so many people on HUKD wait until it drops to £80 before committing. Now a lot of those people have missed out on the slightly better screen!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    Yes they have. All new models have TFT screen, which to be honest will make most people happy anyway. The deeper blacks on AMOLED are awesome though.

There is still old stock around. I think Play.com sell the original grey one with AMOLED but it's at full price £110. Imo that price is a bargain anyway and I don't get why so many people on HUKD wait until it drops to £80 before committing. Now a lot of those people have missed out on the slightly better screen!
    Wouldn't you think that with the TFT screen would make the Wildfire the better phone now? or is it still better?

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't you think that with the TFT screen would make the Wildfire the better phone now? or is it still better?
    Won't make a huge difference. The phone is still an excellent deal for it's price.
    The Wildfire doesn't have anything over it except a little better build quality. The Orange SF build quality is quite good though. The Wildfire has a better camera too but you're just comparing two relatively poor cameras imo (the Orange camera may as well be non-existant). HTC's cameras are generally quite crap imo.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.