The Student Room Group

Would you let...?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ~Kat~
Well if these games/films so on had openly homosexual characters then the topic of adult relatioships/sex must have already been broached and that would all depend on how old the child was anyway, as to wether id let them watch it or not.

I think that when you're young the idea of relationships is hard enough to get your head around as it is, and having to explain homosexuality brings in a whole new level to the generic 'when a mummy and a daddy love each other very much' thing.
I don't see anything wrong with homoselxuality but I would wait longer to introduce it to any child I may have than I would with the generic hetro relationship. I remember the idea being introduced to me when I was about 6, and some kids were talking about an episode of Jerry Springer they watched. The following conversation with my mum was... well, i feel sorry for her that she had to explain that to me at the tender age of 6 :tongue:

there we go, that's exactly what I mean
Original post by bramz19
1) Yes, because I turned out fine.
2) Yes, because I turned out fine.

^ This
1. Obviously
2. Depends on the age. No, I would not let a 5 year old play black ops, but obviously I'd be fine with anyone over 15 (and probably quite a bit below too).
Reply 43
Original post by SoulfulBoy
Interesting response. :smile: One question, are you psychocustard?

Nope. This is the user name I've always used.
Reply 44
You have to read the rules of this thread. :wink:

LOL thanks but I cant be bothered.
Sorry! :rolleyes:
Reply 45
Original post by ~Kat~
Well if these games/films so on had openly homosexual characters then the topic of adult relatioships/sex must have already been broached and that would all depend on how old the child was anyway, as to wether id let them watch it or not.

I think that when you're young the idea of relationships is hard enough to get your head around as it is, and having to explain homosexuality brings in a whole new level to the generic 'when a mummy and a daddy love each other very much' thing.
I don't see anything wrong with homoselxuality but I would wait longer to introduce it to any child I may have than I would with the generic hetro relationship. I remember the idea being introduced to me when I was about 6, and some kids were talking about an episode of Jerry Springer they watched. The following conversation with my mum was... well, i feel sorry for her that she had to explain that to me at the tender age of 6 :tongue:

It does not necessarily mean a discussion about sex. You can explain to even a very young child that some couples are a man and a woman and that some couples are two men or two women without needing to discuss how they have sex.
Reply 46
Question 1- Would you let your child watch/read/play movies, tales,videogames,etc with a homosexual characters? Yes or not and why?
Question 2- Would you let your child watch/read/play movies,tales,videogames,etc with a medium content of violence (Black Op or San Andreas for videogames, violence descripted war tales, movies including shootings. Yes or not and why?
If you answered No to Question 1 and Yes to Question 2, explain your answer in Question 3.
If you answered Yes to Question 1 and No to Question 2, explain your answer in Question 4.
BEFORE ANSWERING WRITE THE NUMBER OF THE ANSWER YOU ARE REPLYING TO. YOU MUST ANSWER THE THREE QUESTIONS (1,2 AND 3) OR (1,2 AND 4).
Thank you:smile:

Question number 1: Yes I would!.Homosexuality is perfectly normal and the more (some) people realise this the less homophobic society will become.

Question number 2:My eldest has played games such as San Andreas, my youngest too to a certain extent. They are both fully aware that violence isnt right, but those are games and you can do things in them that you cant do in real life.In real life my children are pacifists, just like me.

By the way my children are 14 and 12 years old.
Anyway, you seem to hold some hidden hate towards homosexual couples.:smile:

You're so full of **** sometimes it's unreal :h:

Here is what she said, but paraphrased so maybe you can understand it:
"I don't wish my kids to be exposed to homosexuality at the early age they are because they might start asking questions that I, as a parent, don't think they would be able to fully comprehend and understand the answers that I give".

As she said, her kids are 5, 3, and 1. No further justification needed, and your "you seem to hold some hidden hate :blah: :blah: :blah: " is completely ridiculous.

You might want to stay out of any further discussions that require an IQ of at least double-digits :fyi:
Reply 48
1) Yes.
2) Yes.

I don't remember if I played any games with homosexual characters in but I definitely played violent video games from a young age. It has had no effect on me so I don't see why other kids shouldn't be able to. Video games don't kill people.
Yes, they have to learn sometimes. Obviously to a certain degree though, let's be sensible.
Reply 50
OP is getting pretty aggressive... Just because you put a smiley face on it doesn't make it friendly.
Reply 51
1. yeah why not

2. yeah i'd encourage it as a way to demonstrate how not to act, like i'd sit there and say "he isn't doing it right" when people arent doing it right and then when people do it right i'd say "i know he gets the s**t shot out of him but he was doing it right"
Reply 52
Original post by Drunk Punx
You're so full of **** sometimes it's unreal :h:

Here is what she said, but paraphrased so maybe you can understand it:
"I don't wish my kids to be exposed to homosexuality at the early age they are because they might start asking questions that I, as a parent, don't think they would be able to fully comprehend and understand the answers that I give".

As she said, her kids are 5, 3, and 1. No further justification needed, and your "you seem to hold some hidden hate :blah: :blah: :blah: " is completely ridiculous.

You might want to stay out of any further discussions that require an IQ of at least double-digits :fyi:

You can s. my d. off!! There are kids with 5,3 and 1 with homosexual parents and they haven't suffered any thing she fears of. She has no arguments and you have no intelligence for supporting a lost cause.
Have a good day:smile:
Reply 53
Original post by thefutile
1) Yes.
2) Yes.

I don't remember if I played any games with homosexual characters in but I definitely played violent video games from a young age. It has had no effect on me so I don't see why other kids shouldn't be able to. Video games don't kill people.

Violent games don't turn you violent but make you see violence as something more acceptable than if you hadn't played those games.
Reply 54
Original post by Schlemmons
OP is getting pretty aggressive... Just because you put a smiley face on it doesn't make it friendly.

:smile: Get out, you troll!
Reply 55
Yes and yes.
Reply 56
Violent games don't turn you violent but make you see violence as something more acceptable than if you hadn't played those games.

Only if your mind can be easily swayed which, yes, could be true of children. But it wasn't for me and a few other people I could name. I personally don't think video games play as huge a role in violence as people may think. I remember reading about a Take a Break campaign where they wanted to get GTA off the shelves because it "caused childhood violence". I laughed at it.
Reply 57
Original post by thefutile
Only if your mind can be easily swayed which, yes, could be true of children. But it wasn't for me and a few other people I could name. I personally don't think video games play as huge a role in violence as people may think. I remember reading about a Take a Break campaign where they wanted to get GTA off the shelves because it "caused childhood violence". I laughed at it.

Playing a violent video game (wich is interactive,thus, you interact with violence) tends to make you more permisive (insensitive) in what violence regards. For example, have you seen Irreversible of gaspar noe? Watch it. It's a violent movie. I watch it and I did not turn violent but I accept that now many of violent movies might be laughable compared to that. See? Without being aware you develope a psychologically tolerance towards violence just like towards chemical substance but psychologically. And that tolerance towards violence is also developed by watching the news (wich use to show terrible events of murdering, death,etc.) Do you see my point? Video games as tv news make people develope a tolerance and this worrying and increasing tolerance is what we have to fear because as it grows our human side (that wich feels and gets hurt at seeing death, violence, murder,hate) decreases.
Reply 58
Original post by EvieMo
It does not necessarily mean a discussion about sex. You can explain to even a very young child that some couples are a man and a woman and that some couples are two men or two women without needing to discuss how they have sex.

I'm more than well aware of that. I didn't only say sexual relationships, I said adult relationships. I know that as a child the first thing that came into my mind was: how can they have babies? why does that happen? All of the answers to which need explanation of emotions could not be expected to get their head around. I'd rather make such a discussion more worth while by waiting until the child was older. I ws by no means trying to insinuate that homosexual relations are purely sexually based.
Reply 59
:smile: Get out, you troll!

Guess you don't know what trolling is? I'm supporting the people on your thread who have their own opinions and I was just saying that you're starting to get pretty aggressive towards people who have different opinions to yours.

Also, my point about the smiley faces stands. You're still doing it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending