Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

BBC lost it for us in our lifetime Watch

ReputationRep:
    So England will now not be able to bid for another World Cup till 2030. By this time we will see a strong emergence from the remaining BRIC economies namely China and India.

There is no way in hell England will be able to compete with a practically untounched market of 2.5 billion people in asia. Judging by what the chinese did for the olympic games you can pretty much guarantee an ausome world cup over there.

England marketed itself as a safe pair of hands but in 20 to 30 years your gonna see countries that can offer a whole lot more.

Anyway I'm just saying that its a sad thought to think that the World Cup may not come to this country in our lifetime because the BBC can't keep their mother****ing mouths shut.

ReputationRep:
    In our lifetime? Hopefully I will still be alive in 2030.

ReputationRep:
    No, it's a sad thought that FIFA is such a dirty, corrupt organisation that it would punish legitimate investigation into its activities by sending the world cup to a worse choice of host nation.

ReputationRep:
    The subject has been done to death already, get over it.

If the other nations fail to produce, then so be it.

ReputationRep:
    We already have the Olympics, don't know why everyone's being so friggin greedy about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MAchInE_hEAd)
    So England will now not be able to bid for another World Cup till 2030. By this time we will see a strong emergence from the remaining BRIC economies namely China and India.

There is no way in hell England will be able to compete with a practically untounched market of 2.5 billion people in asia. Judging by what the chinese did for the olympic games you can pretty much guarantee an ausome world cup over there.

England marketed itself as a safe pair of hands but in 20 to 30 years your gonna see countries that can offer a whole lot more.

Anyway I'm just saying that its a sad thought to think that the World Cup may not come to this country in our lifetime because the BBC can't keep their mother****ing mouths shut.
    One of the officials accused actually voted for us. How can we possibly tell whether the programme influenced the others' decision not to vote for us?

The fact is, there is no point in England bidding for the World Cup, because that's what it is - a World Cup. They want to bring it to new parts of the world, to developing countries where all the investment is going and where bigger benefits will be seen as a result. Whether they have existing infrastructure is irrelevant for FIFA, because now they have the opportunity to create such infrastructure and stadia.

I won't be surprised if China decide to bid and win for 2030, due to the same principle above.

ReputationRep:
    Like most things we're not nearly as good as we think we are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeppasloth)
    Like most things we're not nearly as good as we think we are.
    Actually for a change we were. The English bid was without a shadow of a doubt the strongest European bid there was. Certainly stronger than the 2 bids that actually won it. Even FIFA's evaluation reports who that Russia's bid had a higher risk than England and the Spain/Portugal

ReputationRep:
    So the BBC shouldn't tell the country the truth just in case it messes up the country's chance to host a massivley expensive event and which will also humiliate the England team even more when they get knocked out at the first opportunity, that is if they manage to qualify at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MAchInE_hEAd)

It's nothing to do with the BBC: I really don't think FIFA cares about some pissy little Panorama expose. It's because FIFA is one of the worst sorts of organisation: essentially a company that functions as a government of sorts, and open to all sorts of corruption.

Russia is a Mafia state.
    Qatar is like Abu Dhabi in the Formula One: completely soulless and exists only for the rich in-crowd.

Do either of these places care about football? No.
    Are both of these places socially restrictive? Yes.

The only redeeming factor is that FIFA could say it is justified in globalising football. There has never been a Slavic or Middle Eastern World Cup.

I'm just going to turn into a rugby fan for the next twenty years, personally. England has the rugby World Cup for 2015
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    So you would prefer to have the World Cup than a free press?

ReputationRep:
    FIFA epitomises everything that is wrong with the modern game.

ReputationRep:
    I would prefer a free press that uncovers corruption than a world cup

ReputationRep:
    We got 1 legit vote, BBC made **** all difference

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Persephone9)
    We already have the Olympics, don't know why everyone's being so friggin greedy about it.
    As well as the Commonwealth games in 2014 and the rugby world cup in 2015

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    So you would prefer to have the World Cup than a free press?
    I'm sure many would pick the first one :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F i s)
    I'm sure many would pick the first one :rolleyes:
    Many would, but that doesn't mean it's the right answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abbadon27)
    Many would, but that doesn't mean it's the right answer.
    Did I say it's the right answer? Many would vow in favour of capital-punishment. of course, there's a way to distinguish right and wrong especially as it's only a game at the end of the day.

ReputationRep:
    Why the **** do people blame the BBC (and the Sunday Times) for this? I do admit I think that the BBC and Sunday Times investigations did have some effect on the overall result.

But we were in FOURTH place. FOURTH. I don't think an investigation by a TV broadcaster and a national newspaper would be the only reason why we came so low. If they hadn't published or broadcast their investigations, then we might have come third, maybe even second place. But we still wouldn't have won it. So the BBC documentary and Sunday Times reports had little outcome on the end result for our bid to host those two World Cups.

The most likely reason why we got involved is because our Prime Minister, the Right Honourable Condom Face, got involved in promoting our bid to host them.

ReputationRep:
    Blatter will die before us

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: December 5, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.