Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What are the workload differences like for different courses? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    So i was just wondering what are the differences at uni courses in terms of how much work you have to put in and how much time you get free compared to time in lectures or in some form of studying in lesson time
    e.g
    what are the 1st year timetables like in comparison to each other for say; Engineering medicine geography english maths physics

I guess some may have a lot more free areas than others

ReputationRep:
    Engineering certainly has the most full timetable here.

The Sciences (Physics, Maths, Biochem etc) have fairly full timetables (~20 hours) whereas Arts-y subjects only have about 5-10 hours a week.

The assessed work (non-exams) for the subjects tend to balance the difference in times out, although Engineering and Science courses do tend to have a lot of exams.

e.g. This semester I've had 3 mid-terms and will have 4 exams at the end of it.

ReputationRep:
    Can't speak for every uni, but here basically it works out that art-type subjects have much fewer contact hours, but they're expected to do much more "general reading".
    Similarly my course has a lot more exam assessments compared to my friend doing English and German, who has more coursework.
    Medicine is a funny one because it depends what type of medicine degree it is. Here, they do PBL so I actually have more lectures than the medics, but obviously they're expected to do much more of the work themselves. Somewhere like Bristol or Nottingham will have loads more lectures though.

ReputationRep:
    Ah yes i thought there would be more for engineering but i guess it means you do less outside of contact time

ReputationRep:
    Well i have 17 hours contact time, and everyday im not timetabled in I go into the studio all day to do work. Some art courses are intense, some aren't. Engineering has the most timetabled hours though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.