Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi People

Currently I'm using my Creative Megaworks 250 speakers for my PC with some SCART and phono cable jiggery pokery is also acting as the output for my Sky HD and XBox 360.

I'd really like to upgrade to a 5.1 system, mainly aimed for use with my DVD player, Sky HD box and Xbox 360. I'm not going to be too upset if there's no way for me to connect the PC to it as well.

Just so you know my room is 3.5m long by 3m wide. Ideally, I'd like some wireless rear speakers but I doubt that's a possibility on the budget I want, which is around the £300 - 400.

The Onkyo HTS3305 system has caught my attention, can you fine people please give suggestions. I also keep seeing systems with active and passive subwoofers, can someone tell me the what the pitfalls\advantages of either?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atomic Dave)
    Hi People

Currently I'm using my Creative Megaworks 250 speakers for my PC with some SCART and phono cable jiggery pokery is also acting as the output for my Sky HD and XBox 360.

I'd really like to upgrade to a 5.1 system, mainly aimed for use with my DVD player, Sky HD box and Xbox 360. I'm not going to be too upset if there's no way for me to connect the PC to it as well.

Just so you know my room is 3.5m long by 3m wide. Ideally, I'd like some wireless rear speakers but I doubt that's a possibility on the budget I want, which is around the £300 - 400.

The Onkyo HTS3305 system has caught my attention, can you fine people please give suggestions. I also keep seeing systems with active and passive subwoofers, can someone tell me the what the pitfalls\advantages of either?
    For a room that size, the Onkyo is a good choice.
    You should be able to connect your pc with no issue.
    I woud imagine that the PC has an optical out and the Onkyo certainly has optical in so you will be able to get 5.1 no issue.

I would not go for wireless rear, I would just find a way to hide the wires. When I did the new setup in my living room, I just drilled a couple of small holes in the floor and the job was done.

ReputationRep:
    I would stay away from wireless systems. You'll either have to change batteries regularly or provide them with a power connection which is likely to defeat the point of them being wireless.

From the specs that system looks like it could be good. You may want to check the video out options on your various devices match the available inputs. You'll only get full 5.1 with digital inputs. The standard stereo input (2 RCA's or 3.5 jack plug) will only give surround through ProLogic which generates a center and surround channel from the stereo input.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys, by the way I keep seeing systems that have active or passive subwoofer, what are the merits of each and why would you choose one over the other?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atomic Dave)
    Thanks guys, by the way I keep seeing systems that have active or passive subwoofer, what are the merits of each and why would you choose one over the other?
    An active bass is a subwoofer with it's own power transformer. They can be operated independently of a stereo system and often can have their own sound level controls.

A passive subwoofer relies on the amplifier's power to boost it. You'd then control the sound output solely through the amp.

I personally prefer active subs as I feel you get more control over them which makes it easier to balance them with the rest of your set up. If however you're buying an all in one package, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.