The Student Room Group

Spanish "Golden" Phrases

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Hey, I'm a Spanish guy, if you need some help just tell me :wink:

BTW, I wanna improve my english skills (i'm on a intermediate level I think) so If you want to learn some Spanish we can teach each other by skype or mail or however :biggrin:
Reply 81
i like

ser pan comido = a piece of cake

la entrevista será pan comido. = the interview will be a piece of cake.

literally means "bread eaten"
Reply 82
Original post by lampshade1
This is so helpful!!!

May I recommend Palabra por palabra for people?

as they have some great phrases :smile: I can write some on here if people don't have it

Yes please. That would be very helpful. :smile:
Reply 83
all i have is 'no creo que (topic e.g.) tele sea algo malo:confused:

& i have palabra por palabra but can't identify subjunctive phrases within:frown:
Reply 84
"Que mono"
"Que rico"
When talking to younger generation and trying to express how "cute" or "sweet" they are.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, I really do need help sometimes with my Spanish when preparing for my or exam and I have one in about two weeks!

And I'd gladly help you with your English so I think I'll take your offer! :smile:
Reply 86
Ask us, don't worry. We'll help you. :cool:
Reply 87
Original post by Wanischa
I think so. My Spanish teacher loves it.
I only found it because I read the whole book for Spanish slangs :P

Can you explain what the phrase means? I don't really get it but it sounds really good to use :smile:
Original post by Quick-use
¡Hola a todo! Estudio en Escocia, y tengo muchos frases.

En primer lugar - First of all

A mi modo de ver - The way I see it
Desde de mi punto de vista - From my point of view
Según mi criterio - As for my view

Sino más bien al contrario - Quite the contrary
La otra cara de la moneda es que - The other side of the coin is that
Aunque quisiera pensar de otra manera - Although, I would like to think differently/otherwise
En cambio - Alternatively / Instead / Conversely
Lamentablemente - Regretfully / Regrettably
Es otra historia - It’s a different matter / It’s a different kettle of fish

Hoy en día resulta dificil abrir un periódico en el que no leamos que - Nowadays it's difficult to open a newspaper without reading that

No se trata de..., sino el quid de la cuestión es que - It's not about..., but rather the crux of the matter is that

Aunque parezca paradójico - Although it seems paradoxical

Es una ilusión creer que (subj.) - We're kidding ourselves by believing that (literally: It's an illusion to believe that)

Lo que pasa es que - What happens is that

O sea - To put it in another way / Or rather
En otras palabras - In other words

Yo de ti - If I were you

A cambio de - In exchange for
En lugar de - Instead of / In place of

¡Así sea! - So be it!
Así es la vida - That’s life / Such is life

¡Querer es poder! - Where there's a will there's a way
¡Saber es poder! - With knowledge comes power

Puede costar un ojo de la cara - It can be really expensive (literally: it can cost an eye from a face)

Aun así (better) / Así y todo - Even so

Después de mucho pensarlo - After a lot of thought
Sin pensarlo dos veces - Without a second thought
Casi sin pensar - Almost without thinking

Por esta razón / Por lo mismo - For that reason

Por último - Ultimately
Al fin y al cabo / A fin de cuentas - When all is said and done / At the end of the day
En resumen / En suma - In short
Esto nos lleva a la conclusión inevitable de que - This brings us to the inevitable conclusion that

Sea como sea - Whatever happens
Digan lo que digan - Whatever people say

Quizás sea por el hecho de que - Perhaps it may be due to the fact that

This is a great help thanks dude!
Original post by Jrgndk

BTW, I wanna improve my english skills (i'm on a intermediate level I think) so If you want to learn some Spanish we can teach each other by skype or mail or however :biggrin:

Hii, are you still available for this?
Original post by un-besito
I like 'Como si fuese lo único que importase' -as if it were the only thing that mattered
and 'este sugiere que...' this suggests that...

"This suggests that" is actually "esto sugiere que". Using "este" means "this man suggests that".
Original post by Jrgndk

Hi! Is this offer still on the table? :smile:
It seems that a lot of people are using the imperfect subjunctive ending in ese etc but after living in Spain for a year, they never use it!! Maybe that's just because of where I was staying but it never seems to be used, except in literary texts like novels and poems but other than that not really :frown: Don't want to sound like a dick here but if you wanted to sound more native I would avoid it all together

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jackster281
It seems that a lot of people are using the imperfect subjunctive ending in ese etc but after living in Spain for a year, they never use it!! Maybe that's just because of where I was staying but it never seems to be used, except in literary texts like novels and poems but other than that not really :frown: Don't want to sound like a dick here but if you wanted to sound more native I would avoid it all together

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sorry, but this simply isn't true. As a native Spanish speaker I can categorically state that imperfect subjunctive is used all the time in Spanish and most certainly not just in novels and poems...
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I'm sorry, but this simply isn't true. As a native Spanish speaker I can categorically state that imperfect subjunctive is used all the time in Spanish and most certainly not just in novels and poems...

I stayed in Corboda for 6 months and I could swear that it was barely used!! What part of Spain are you native to ? Do you have a preference when it comes to using it over the other one or is it just a pick and choose ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jackster281
I stayed in Corboda for 6 months and I could swear that it was barely used!! What part of Spain are you native to ? Do you have a preference when it comes to using it over the other one or is it just a pick and choose ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hang on, I think I might know what you're talking about. The pretérito imperfecto futuro is a form of the imperfect subjunctive which IS extinct and only found in novels, but the normal imperfect subjunctive (pretérito imperfecto) is very much alive and well and essential for fluency in Spanish.
(edited 8 years ago)
diria que- i would say that
es verdad que- it is true that
Afortunadamente- Fortunately
Desgraciadamente- Unfortunately
Lo malo es- The bad thing is
Lo bueno es- The good thing is

These are some A* phrases that i use and i am only in Year 9
Original post by fatima.p02
diria que- i would say that
es verdad que- it is true that
Afortunadamente- Fortunately
Desgraciadamente- Unfortunately
Lo malo es- The bad thing is
Lo bueno es- The good thing is

These are some A* phrases that i use and i am only in Year 9

Those are definitely not A* phrases, it's pretty basic Spanish.
Some idioms that my Spanish teacher gave the class:

Tirar los tejos: to flirt with someone
e.g. Ese chico me tira los tejos

Dar calabazas: to reject someone (flirt)
e.g. Te ha dado calabazas

Me aburri (accent on i) como una ostra: I am really bored

Other helpful (?) stuff:
empollar, hincar los codos- To study a lot
hacer el vago- to laze around
agobiar- to worry/stress
"El es caído de la mata" hahaha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending