Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Missed periods after coming off the pill, or from being overweight? Watch

Hi... I'd never normally ask for health advice over the internet, but I guess I'm just seeking some reassurance or something. Sorry for the length of this post, I just want to try and get all the info in. And it's anon because some of my real-life friends know who I am on here

After being on the pill (Microgynon) for just over 4 years, I came off it in May. I didn't have a boyfriend or anything for the majority of the time I was on the pill, but I liked that it made my periods regular (they were always really random before) and that I could stop them if I needed to. Anyway, I had regular-ish periods between then and September, though they were all fairly different, as in sometimes light and sometimes heavy.

However, now it's the start of December, and my last period was in the second week of September. I have had sex twice within the last 9 months, both in June, and both using protection. I realise I should probably take a pregnancy test, but really, it's quite unlikely that I'd be pregnant, yes? Basically, I'm just really nervous about the thought of buying a pregnancy test, so keep putting it off. I also really don't think I'm pregnant, as I've had 3 periods since I last had sex, and I have no other symptoms.

After reading a bit online, it seems that being overweight can affect your periods. I'm quite overweight, and after trying to lose weight several times I've pretty much given up now. I really am trying to eat healthily at the moment, and do a lot of walking, but nothing seems to be happening as of yet. I was wondering whether the fact I'm overweight could be the reason for the missed periods.

I want to know whether anyone else has experienced this or anything similar, and how likely it is related to either coming off the pill, being overweight, or just that my periods have gone back to being irregular like they were before I went on the pill. Mainly I want reassurance that I'm not pregnant, but I guess I will have to go and buy a pregnancy test just to be sure. It would really ruin my life if I was

ReputationRep:
    I was on the same pill as you were, my periods were back to normal within a month or so, but of course it's subjective and i'm a normal weight. I would get a pregnancy test anyway but i'm betting it's a weight issue. Have you tried losing weight? It could also be a result of your irregular periods too, it sometimes can take up to a year for a woman's body to normalise after being on the pill, it may just be a coolign down time right now. I'd go ask your doctor if it's bothering you though, they'll know a lot more than I do for a start and they can see for themselves if you're overweight and send you for tests. ^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi...
    I really don't think you're pregnant. You last had sex in June? You'd be nearly 6 months, you'd have noticed that. More likely just to be a combination of coming off the pill and being generally irregular if you're worried go to your GP and get them to have a look at you?

ReputationRep:
    Hi... I'd never normally ask for health advice over the internet, but I guess I'm just seeking some reassurance or something. Sorry for the length of this post, I just want to try and get all the info in. And it's anon because some of my real-life friends know who I am on here

After being on the pill (Microgynon) for just over 4 years, I came off it in May. I didn't have a boyfriend or anything for the majority of the time I was on the pill, but I liked that it made my periods regular (they were always really random before) and that I could stop them if I needed to. Anyway, I had regular-ish periods between then and September, though they were all fairly different, as in sometimes light and sometimes heavy.

However, now it's the start of December, and my last period was in the second week of September. I have had sex twice within the last 9 months, both in June, and both using protection. I realise I should probably take a pregnancy test, but really, it's quite unlikely that I'd be pregnant, yes? Basically, I'm just really nervous about the thought of buying a pregnancy test, so keep putting it off. I also really don't think I'm pregnant, as I've had 3 periods since I last had sex, and I have no other symptoms.

After reading a bit online, it seems that being overweight can affect your periods. I'm quite overweight, and after trying to lose weight several times I've pretty much given up now. I really am trying to eat healthily at the moment, and do a lot of walking, but nothing seems to be happening as of yet. I was wondering whether the fact I'm overweight could be the reason for the missed periods.

I want to know whether anyone else has experienced this or anything similar, and how likely it is related to either coming off the pill, being overweight, or just that my periods have gone back to being irregular like they were before I went on the pill. Mainly I want reassurance that I'm not pregnant, but I guess I will have to go and buy a pregnancy test just to be sure. It would really ruin my life if I was
    Well If you have had 3 periods since having sex I would say its unlikely your pregnant but could get a test to put your mind at rest.

I think for periods to stop due to weight, you have to be pretty morbidly obese, I convinced myself my periods stopped due to being overweight but have bigger friends who 'work normally' and in the end it was nothing to do with my weight.

When I start and stop the pill it always throws me off for months and as you have said that you was never regular anyway it all sounds perfectly normal to me.

I personally don't think anything is wrong what so ever, but I do suggest going to the doctors. They can rule out pregnancy and anything else that may affect missed periods.

ReputationRep:

You can still have vaginal bleeding if you are pregnant, and sometimes you don't get any really noticeable symptoms.. take a test.

Thanks for the reassurance guys... Glad to hear other people think I'm probably not pregnant too. And yeah, I thought I would have noticed if I was 6 months pregnant, but then you always hear those horror stories of girls who had no clue they were pregnant then suddenly a baby pops out sort of thing

Also, I can't find a definitive answer about the overweight thing online... A few websites say it could be a cause of missing periods, but none of them say how overweight you'd need to be, what BMI etc. so I wasn't sure whether it was literally just morbidly obese people or not. I think my BMI is around 32 at the moment, which is pretty high, but perhaps not high enough for it to have an affect. Part of the reason I came off the pill was because my doctor said if I got any heavier he'd have to stop prescribing it as it might not work over a certain BMI or something?

I really know I need to lose weight, it's just so difficult. I've got so little willpower, but I think my crushing lack of self-confidence is going to outweigh that soon so I'll have to do something about it. Ack.

Going to the doctor isn't really an option at the moment. This sounds lame I know, but it's a long story and if I gave my reasons for it then my anonymity here would probably be compromised... I'll probably end up doing a pregnancy test just to be sure, then focus on trying to lose some weight and hope they come back in due course. Thanks for all the help so far, and if anyone else has anything to say then feel free to add it

ReputationRep:
    I really don't think you are pregnant. If you had sex in June you would definitely be showing by now and, like you said, you've had 3 periods since then anyway. I think all of the other factors you mentioned probably relate to your irregular periods. I came off my pill last December because, at the time it was pointless being on it. I stopped taking it for 2 months and didn't have a period at all. Before going on the pill I was always really regular so I think it was just my body adapting to not being on it. In the end I got fed up of not having control over my body so I went back on it!
    There are so many factors in when you get your periods though so I really don't think it is anything to worry about. You could discuss it with your doctor if you are still concerned about it though...

ReputationRep:
    It could be a mixture of both :yep:. It took me 6 months get a period at all after coming off the pill - albeit a different one. It will affect different people for different lengths of time

(Original post by SpiritedAway)
    It could be a mixture of both :yep:. It took me 6 months get a period at all after coming off the pill - albeit a different one. It will affect different people for different lengths of time
    Yeah, I don't think I'd be worrying at all if it wasn't for those two times I had sex in June... I was really very irregular before the pill, so perhaps I've just gone back to being irregular. The only problem is the niggling worry that I could be pregnant, even though it's not very likely

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reassurance guys... Glad to hear other people think I'm probably not pregnant too. And yeah, I thought I would have noticed if I was 6 months pregnant, but then you always hear those horror stories of girls who had no clue they were pregnant then suddenly a baby pops out sort of thing

Also, I can't find a definitive answer about the overweight thing online... A few websites say it could be a cause of missing periods, but none of them say how overweight you'd need to be, what BMI etc. so I wasn't sure whether it was literally just morbidly obese people or not. I think my BMI is around 32 at the moment, which is pretty high, but perhaps not high enough for it to have an affect. Part of the reason I came off the pill was because my doctor said if I got any heavier he'd have to stop prescribing it as it might not work over a certain BMI or something?

I really know I need to lose weight, it's just so difficult. I've got so little willpower, but I think my crushing lack of self-confidence is going to outweigh that soon so I'll have to do something about it. Ack.

Going to the doctor isn't really an option at the moment. This sounds lame I know, but it's a long story and if I gave my reasons for it then my anonymity here would probably be compromised... I'll probably end up doing a pregnancy test just to be sure, then focus on trying to lose some weight and hope they come back in due course. Thanks for all the help so far, and if anyone else has anything to say then feel free to add it
    I was probably around 32-35 back then and as I said bigger friends are fine so I really don't think it is, but do suggest loosing weight anyway. Just go for it, I find calorie counting the easiest but there are so many diets out there. Feel free to pm me if you want some support, I am brilliant at nagging but would be easier if you have a friend you could do it with.

If your periods don't come back soon you really should consider the doctors though. My periods stopped because of a lump in my head! There were other symptoms so don't go thinking you have the same, but just want to emphasise that sometimes there are other reasons they stop. Its unlikely but there comes a point its always best to bite the bullet and get checked out.

Oh damn, I totally just realised those two times I had sex were in July... And they'd have been half way through the month I guess, so I'd only be 4 and a half months pregnant if I was. Sounds a lot less noticeable than 6 months. Perhaps I really should check.

Jeez, as if I'm that forgetful. FML

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I don't think I'd be worrying at all if it wasn't for those two times I had sex in June... I was really very irregular before the pill, so perhaps I've just gone back to being irregular. The only problem is the niggling worry that I could be pregnant, even though it's not very likely
    Well, if you had sex in june, you'd be 6 months pregnant. You'd be entering if not already in your final trimester. I think you're worrying over nothing.

ReputationRep:
    Oh damn, I totally just realised those two times I had sex were in July... And they'd have been half way through the month I guess, so I'd only be 4 and a half months pregnant if I was. Sounds a lot less noticeable than 6 months. Perhaps I really should check.

Jeez, as if I'm that forgetful. FML
    It's incredibly unlikely you're pregnant! I would visit the doctor about those irregular periods - it's possible you may have polycystic ovaries, a very common problem but one doctor can help with. Things like irregular periods, being overwieght, having excess body hair are all signs you might be a sufferer.

x

ReputationRep:
    do a pregnancy test to put your mind at rest.
    your periods/cycle can take a while to settle down after being on the pill as it has to get used to producing its own hormones again, as the bleeding you have on the pill isn't a 'true' period.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 6, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.