Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i've recently applied to do English at Staffordshire University, however, my course is based on the Stoke Campus.

is anybody currently studying there/living there that can tell me about the town itself & the nightlife?
    as i've heard its not the best place...
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    night life in stoke is good, lotsa clubs and bars, and its pretty cheap to, stoke it self, isnt the nicest place. but hanley and newcastle are the ncier parts of town. i live her and im applyin to the uni, so it cnt be too bad ha x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophielouise10)
    i've recently applied to do English at Staffordshire University, however, my course is based on the Stoke Campus.

is anybody currently studying there/living there that can tell me about the town itself & the nightlife?
    thanks
    I did English at Staffs and then my MA too. I was there 2005-2010 and it was such a great uni with the most supportive Staff!!
    I really miss it and keep in touch with some of the lecturers still now.

Stoke Campus/halls are right next to the train station,the library and the building where English is taught, so that will be convinient.
    The two student unions are also in less than 5mins walking distance, both are good, with Wed night 'Gobble' being a sell out on a lot of weeks.

A £5 taxi ride away is Hanley, home to several nightclubs,bars and restaurants, Student night is Monday. A £4 taxi in the opposite direction will take you into Stoke centre, where there is a wetherspoons, and pubs bars..good for a cheap pub crawl.
    Then, approx £8 taxi ride away is Newcastle, next to Keele uni where there are clubs and bars again, student night is Wed, and you will also be able to go to Keele student uni nights with your Staffs uni card too.

There are also pubs directly by the uni, and you are only a 40min train from manchester!!

I've lived in this area all my life, and spent 5 years doing English at Staffs..so any more questions, just let me know :bl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophielouise10)

thanks
    I'm here too. Just finished my first semester doing Music Journalism. As has been already said, Stoke isn't the nicest place ever...not going to lie. Hanley's really nice though, got a great shopping centre and loads of bars and clubs that are good and reasonably priced. Newcastle-under-lyme's decent as well and both are just a short taxi ride away. I'm living off campus though so from halls will be a bit further

ReputationRep:
    I have lived in stoke all my life and currently going the university studying Business Management. The local area is not the nicest or cleanest however it is cheap and has easy access to busses or trains which stoke station is a measly 5 min walk at sloth rate.
    Its not a bad place there are several nice clubs in the town, and local city. It depends what your into newcastle is mainly for middle class clubbers where as hanley is for all classes. With regular event in the clubs in the two local towns.
    If you are thinking of living in the area you should know that it can be really cheap depending on what living conditions you want whilst at university.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.