Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I was just wondering what it's like! I know it's an association rather than a society, but what exactly does it do? Obviously since I'm not at uni yet I don't know what an LGBT society/association does...

Durham's notorious for not having the most amazing of nightlifes so I can't really imagine any gay bars or anything like that there!

Also I've heard that it's largely consistent of men, with not many ladies! Is this true?

Someone shed some light please?

Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    I know they do welfare things, socials in Durham and in Newcastle, generally are friendly and give out advice...I'm not exactly sure but I googled and found their website, which might help?

http://www.durhamlgbta.org.uk/

ReputationRep:
    I have quite a few gay friends who hate it because they feel it's just a sex society that makes no real attempt at welfare or rights. That said, it's just the opinion of a handful of people - that might just be their perception, or it might just be what it's like for gay men.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm pretty involved with Durham LGBTa so I can tell you what we get up to!

Every Monday we have socials at the students union. These are pretty relaxed with a few drinks. There are a few other different socials including mens/womens only.

Durham LGBTa has two main events per year Shipwrecked, party on a boat, and Q Ball, which Newcastle unis are also invited to. We also have Q week in 2nd term, which is organised by campaigns with various speakers and events. Peter Tatchell has visited Durham this term however I forgot to go, oops.

You're right in thinking there are no gay bars in Durham, however this term I have been to Newcastle a couple of times and also Manchester, I would go more if I wasn't a finalist! We are always invited to and welcome at Newcastle uni social events so if you want to get out of Durham more you can!

It is true that there are more men that ladies, however the ladies have had much better showing the last couple of years and are currently well represented on the exec.

If you're looking for amazing nightlife and a large LGBT go to Manchester, but for everything else Durham is certainly worth the compromise, I've absolutely loved my 4 years here and wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

Hope this helps, any more questions just ask!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DougieG)
    I have quite a few gay friends who hate it because they feel it's just a sex society that makes no real attempt at welfare or rights. That said, it's just the opinion of a handful of people - that might just be their perception, or it might just be what it's like for gay men.
    What do you mean by no real attempt at welfare? Do you mean by promoting welfare or actually providing it? Because the welfare officer is well trained and has a welfare phone that you can leave a message, does drop-ins twice a week and you can book appointments, as well as emails. I think that they are quite accessible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Winter Frost)
    What do you mean by no real attempt at welfare? Do you mean by promoting welfare or actually providing it? Because the welfare officer is well trained and has a welfare phone that you can leave a message, does drop-ins twice a week and you can book appointments, as well as emails. I think that they are quite accessible.
    I know the welfare officer (not through LGBTa), he's really nice and puts a huge amount of effort into his position.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelmxxx)
    I know the welfare officer (not through LGBTa), he's really nice and puts a huge amount of effort into his position.
    I thought I did too, but turns out it's a girl according to the website :confused:

http://www.durhamlgbta.org.uk/exec

Maybe it hasn't been updated for this year.

Like I said, just some people's opinions who I know. I have good reason to believe them, but I can't really say much more I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DougieG)
    I thought I did too, but turns out it's a girl according to the website :confused:

http://www.durhamlgbta.org.uk/exec

Maybe it hasn't been updated for this year.

Like I said, just some people's opinions who I know. I have good reason to believe them, but I can't really say much more I'm afraid.
    There are 2, a girl and a boy I think...just not on the website...how odd!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelmxxx)
    There are 2, a girl and a boy I think...just not on the website...how odd!
    Due to some recent changes in the Exec there is now just one (female) welfare officer.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, I know I'm several months late here, I just found this after a Google search since I'm doing a bit of data collection for an interview recently (I'm making a presentation about LGBT welfare). I'm very involved in the society, Finance Officer this year and recently been elected Open Place President for the next academic year, so I can answer anything you'd like.

I won't say much more, since I'm so late that I doubt anyone would read this post, but I'll clear up the welfare issue.

> This year we started with two welfare officers, a male and female, but this proved a bit of a hassle so we changed it to just one official welfare officer and various other exec members were trained in welfare issues. Naturally there's always to be at least one guy and one gal to talk to.

> If you've heard that we don't do a lot of welfare stuff then, respectfully, you're sorely mistaken, though I admit that we're very much accelerating this aspect so perhaps in past years there hasn't been much on. There are weekly drop in sessions which rarely see anyone attending, so demand seems to be low. There are occasional trans coffee mornings and various other events. Safe sex supplies are always readily available, with condoms and such brought to socials. We're doing a lot more on the welfare front this coming year (our welfare rep is amazing!) so watch this space.

That's all I'm saying for now as I'm in a rush, but please do ask if there's anything you'd like to know.

Love, Russell

ReputationRep:
    Hey, all being well I should be starting Uni in October

Just wondering, are postgraduates welcome to the LGBT?

Adam x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acalow1989)
    Hey, all being well I should be starting Uni in October

Just wondering, are postgraduates welcome to the LGBT?

Adam x
    They definitely are.

ReputationRep:
    good good

See you in sep / oct x

ReputationRep:
    Hi im a Year 13 student joining Durham in October hopefully. I have a firm offer form University college and understand that i will likely share a room. However i am a gay male. Although i have no problem with this, i understand that it can be an issue for some. I would just like to know if there is anyone i should talk to or notify in advance, or if any issues or incedences should arise.
    i would be very grateful if anyone could give me some advice.
    Thankyou lewis

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lcarter33)
    Hi im a Year 13 student joining Durham in October hopefully. I have a firm offer form University college and understand that i will likely share a room. However i am a gay male. Although i have no problem with this, i understand that it can be an issue for some. I would just like to know if there is anyone i should talk to or notify in advance, or if any issues or incedences should arise.
    i would be very grateful if anyone could give me some advice.
    Thankyou lewis
    There's a form you fill in where you can mention it. I'm not certain whether it makes much of a difference, but there is a formalised way in which you can tell them if you want.

ReputationRep:
    Okay Thankyou. Do you know where to fill this form out if not dont worry im sure everything will be fine. Thanks for helping

ReputationRep:
    Okay Thankyou. Do you know where to fill this form out if not dont worry im sure everything will be fine. Thanks for helping
    The accommodation forms are only sent out after results day, when the college knows exactly who's coming to Durham.

ReputationRep:
    What angelmxxx said! I don't think all gay people mention it, but some do. I guess they might put you in a single just on the offchance that if they pair you up, your roommate might turn out to have a serious problem with it, but I don't think most people would.

ReputationRep:
    Yer thankyou. My farther said i should probably mention it somewhere just incase, but i cant wait to go to uni should be brilliant. just got to get the results. heres hopeing lol thans for all your help

ReputationRep:
    Just thought I'd chip in, as a gay student at Castle. When they say 'likely' share a room, that's rubbish. Comparatively few people share rooms. From the uni website (http://www.dur.ac.uk/university.coll...accommodation/), it states "The College can provide accommodation for some 320 undergraduates, in 27 double rooms and 266 single rooms.", so that gives you an idea. It will likely be less than that in the coming year, as large portions of the accommodation in Castle itself are being refurbished (with some students having to live near the closet hill college, Mary's, for a term).

Anyway, as mentioned you'll get a form sent to you in August which asks you various questions about accommodation (including normal sleep times, music preferences etc) in order to match the most suitable people up. You're free to mention your sexuality on the form if you feel it may be a problem.

What are you studying, out of interest?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.